David serves as senior counsel to Wiley. He represents clients on a wide variety of matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), including wireless technology, mobile radio operations, and electromagnetic compatibility regulation. David also represents clients on matters involving uncrewed aerial systems (UAS).
- Represents clients on radio frequency exposure and safety matters, FCC Enforcement Bureau Proceedings, and spectrum allocation issues involving numerous radio services.
- Represents developers of equipment that operates under Part 15 and Part 95 of the FCC rules including, short range devices, ultra-wideband devices, digital products, and wireless medical devices.
- Counsels clients concerning equipment authorization and regulations including radio frequency emissions testing, 911 technical issues, hearing aid compatibility, disability access and radio frequency identification (RFID) technologies.
- Advises clients on the regulation of devices under Part 18 of the FCC rules governing industrial, scientific, and medical equipment including wireless charging of batteries.
- Provides advice concerning FCC regulations on the marketing and importation of equipment, as well as the development of new electronic products and experimental radio.
- Counsels clients on the privacy of radio communications and mobile radio regulation including cellular, PCS, paging, private, aviation, satellite, and marine.
- Advises clients on electromagnetic compatibility regulation and radio and television broadcasting technical issues.
- Advises clients on radio spectrum and communications regulation for emerging technologies involving uncrewed aircraft systems (UAS), railroads, ships, and land vehicles in proceedings before the FCC, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
- General Attorney, Federal Communications Commission, Cable Television Bureau (1975-1976)
- One of the original partners in what is now Wiley.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Telecom and Broadcast Transactional Law (2017-2018)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.B.A., University of Kentucky
Editorial Board, University of Virginia Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- AlertNew 60 GHz Rules Offer Flexibility for Radar and WiGig InnovationScott D. Delacourt, David E. Hilliard, Madeleine M. LottenbachJuly 26, 2023
- AlertNew FCC Equipment Marketing Rules Allow Pre-Sale of Radio Frequency Devices to ConsumersMegan L. Brown, Meredith G. Singer, David E. Hilliard, Madeleine M. LottenbachApril 20, 2022
- AlertFCC Releases Proposal to Tackle Security in Equipment Authorizations, Spectrum Auction Certifications, and BeyondMegan L. Brown, Amb. David A. Gross, Thomas M. Johnson, Jr., Meredith G. Singer, Joshua S. Turner, David E. HilliardJune 22, 2021
- AlertNew FCC Proceeding to Tackle Security in Equipment, Auctions, and BeyondMegan L. Brown, Amb. David A. Gross, Thomas M. Johnson, Jr., Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Meredith G. Singer, Joshua S. Turner, Kurt E. DeSoto, David E. Hilliard, Bruce A. RomanoMay 28, 2021