Cara advises government contractors on legal issues spanning the entire lifecycle of government contracts, from bid protests and contract compliance to claims and disputes and terminations. Cara has significant experience with domestic preference rules, including the Buy American Act and Trade Agreements Act. Cara also regularly assists commercial item contractors and GSA Schedule contractors in navigating the unique challenges facing them.
- Regularly prosecutes and defends bid protests before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (COFC), and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Also has experience with state and local protests.
- Represents government contractors in disputes with the federal government, including claims under the Contract Disputes Act (CDA) and appeals of contracting officer final decisions to the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA) and the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals (CBCA). Also represents contractors in disputes related to teaming and subcontracting arrangements.
- Performs risk assessments related to complex compliance issues and advises clients on strengthening compliance practices. Also counsels clients in the development and implementation of compliance and training programs.
- Assists clients with government and internal investigations, contractor disclosures, and False Claims Act litigation.
- Counsels clients on domestic preference requirements and country of origin compliance issues, including those implicated by the Buy American Act (BAA), Trade Agreements Act (TAA), the Berry Amendment, and the Buy America Act.
- Assists GSA Schedule contractors with investigations into potential defective pricing issues or noncompliance with the Price Reductions Clause (PRC). Advises on other GSA Schedule issues, including Contractor Team Arrangements (CTA) and reseller relationships.
- Law Clerk, Dallas County Public Defender’s Office (2013)
- Congressional Intern, Office of Congressman Tom Cole (OK-04), U.S. House of Representatives (2011)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Vice-Chair, Bid Protest Committee
- Named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” for Government Contracts by Super Lawyers magazine (2018-2020, 2022-2023)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory of “Ones to Watch” for Government Relations Practice (2023-2024)
J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.S., University of Oklahoma; Phi Beta Kappa
Executive Notes Development Editor, The Tax Lawyer
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Related News & Insights
- AlertOMB Issues Final Guidance on Implementation of Build America, Buy America ActKevin J. Maynard, Christopher B. Weld, Cara L. SizemoreAugust 17, 2023
- Press Release64 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- EventFederal Grant Performance & CompliancePublic Contracting Institute (PCI) Federal Grants FundamentalsAugust 8, 2023
- AlertDeadline Approaching for Submitting Comments on FHWA’s Review of Longstanding Buy America Waiver for “Manufactured Products”Kevin J. Maynard, Cara L. Sizemore, Lisa RechdenMay 5, 2023