Ben represents insurers in high-stakes matters across a broad range of insurance coverage contexts, including public entity and officials liability, professional liability, cyber liability, general liability, and bad faith matters. Ben helps his clients pinpoint business goals and develop a strategic approach to creatively and collaboratively resolve disputes, or to aggressively litigate when necessary. He has represented insurers in federal and state courts nationwide.
- Represents professional liability insurers in coverage disputes involving claims against municipalities, public officials, directors and officers, lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, and other professional entities.
- Represented general liability carriers in coverage disputes involving hazardous waste, asbestos, and products liability claims.
- Secured published appellate decisions favorable to insurers on key issues, such as rulings that general liability policies do not provide coverage for antitrust liability and that prior and pending litigation exclusions in D&O policies broadly bar coverage for any claims based upon pre-policy matters.
- Represented a DC police officer in a lawsuit against a national restaurant chain accused of race discrimination against customers in numerous states.
- Board of Trustees, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2019)
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia
Editor, Virginia Journal of Social Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Central District of California, District of Columbia, Eastern District of Louisiana, Eastern District of Virginia, Northern District of Mississippi, Southern District of Georgia, Western District of Virginia and Western District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Launches Coronavirus Task Force to Help Clients With Emerging IssuesMarch 26, 2020
- ArticleWrongful Conviction 2020: The Rising Tide of Insurance Trigger LitigationBenjamin C. EggertFebruary 2020
- NewsletterIll. Ruling Clarifies Wrongful Incarceration Insurance TriggersExecutive SummaryJanuary 2020
- ArticleIll. Ruling Clarifies Wrongful Incarceration Insurance TriggersLaw360Benjamin C. Eggert, Karen L. TotoDecember 6, 2019