Ben represents insurers in high-stakes matters across a broad range of insurance and reinsurance coverage contexts, including public entity and officials liability, professional liability, cyber liability, general liability, and bad faith matters. Ben helps his clients pinpoint business goals and develop a strategic approach to creatively and collaboratively resolve disputes, or to aggressively litigate when necessary. He has represented insurers in federal and state courts nationwide.
- Represents professional liability insurers in coverage disputes involving claims against municipalities, public officials, directors and officers, lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, and other professionals.
- Represents commercial property insurers in coverage disputes relating to business interruption and related coverage, including in the COVID-19 context.
- Represents general liability carriers in coverage disputes involving construction, hazardous waste, asbestos, and products liability claims.
- Secured published appellate decisions favorable to insurers on key issues, such as rulings relating to business interruption coverage, coverage for antitrust liability and exclusions in D&O policies and professional liability policies.
- Represented a DC police officer in a lawsuit against a national restaurant chain accused of race discrimination against customers in numerous states.
- Board of Trustees, Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- Named one of DC’s “Super Lawyers” for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2020)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Insurance Law (2023)
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia
Editor, Virginia Journal of Social Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Central District of California, District of Columbia, Eastern District of Louisiana, Eastern District of Virginia, Northern District of Mississippi, Southern District of Georgia, Western District of Virginia and Western District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Related News & Insights
- EventWhat’s Next for Qualified Immunity?PRIMA Annual ConferenceJune 6, 2023
- EventLocal Government Goes to Washington: Supreme Court Cases Affecting Local Government Entities and OfficialsPRIMA Annual ConferenceJune 6, 2023
- EventLiability for Police Encounters with Citizens with Physical and Mental DisabilitiesPRIMA Annual ConferenceJune 5, 2023
- Media Mention5th Circ. Rejects La. Hotel Co.'s COVID-19 Coverage AppealLaw360May 8, 2023