Ashley represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability policies. She also serves as defense counsel for lawyers and other professionals in pending professional liability lawsuits, threatened claims, and in response to subpoenas.
Secured summary judgment for insurer in Tennessee federal court on the grounds that a specific entity exclusion applied to lawsuit against insured alleging a conflict of interest based on its affiliation with the excluded entity. Capwealth Advisors, LLC v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., Case No. 21-cv-00036, 2023 WL 2700706 (M.D. Tenn. Mar. 29, 2023).
Obtained ruling by California federal court granting management liability insurer’s motion to dismiss lawsuit seeking coverage for securities class action based on prior acts exclusion barring coverage for claims arising out of wrongful acts before policy inception. Jayhawk Private Equity Fund II LP v. Liberty Ins. Underwriters, Inc., No. 17-cv-5523 (C.D. Cal. June 7, 2018).
- Advises insurers on coverage issues, including applicability of various policy exclusions and conditions.
- Drafts pleadings addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for clients involved in complex insurance litigation.
- Intern, Children’s Defense Fund, Juvenile Justice Policy Group (2015)
- Intern, U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Program Legal Group (2014)
- Secondary Social Studies Teacher, Teach for America, Duval County Public Schools (2010-2012)
- Intern, Richard W. Riley Institute, Diversity Leaders Initiative (2009-2010)
- Intern, Law in Action, Office of Stephen J. Henry (2008)
- Pathfinder, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 2021
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2019-2020, 2022-2023)
- Included in The Best Lawyers of America directory of "Ones to Watch" for Insurance Law (2024)
J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., magna cum laude, Furman University
Member, Federal Circuit Bar Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostCourt Analyzes “Former Director and Officer” and “Shareholder Derivative” Exceptions to Insured v. Insured ExclusionWiley Executive SummaryAshley L. CrissNovember 29, 2023
- Press Release64 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Media MentionToy Co. Facing $8.5M Judgment Can't Exit Coverage SuitLaw360August 3, 2023
- Blog PostEleventh Circuit Holds Filing of Charge with EEOC Constitutes An “Administrative Proceeding”Wiley Executive SummaryAshley L. CrissJuly 31, 2023