Ashley represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability policies. She also serves as defense counsel for lawyers and other professionals in pending professional liability lawsuits, threatened claims, and in response to subpoenas.
Obtained ruling by California federal court granting management liability insurer’s motion to dismiss lawsuit seeking coverage for securities class action based on prior acts exclusion barring coverage for claims arising out of wrongful acts before policy inception. Jayhawk Private Equity Fund II LP v. Liberty Ins. Underwriters, Inc., No. 17-cv-5523 (C.D. Cal. June 7, 2018).
- Advises insurers on coverage issues, including applicability of various policy exclusions and conditions.
- Drafts pleadings addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for clients involved in complex insurance litigation.
- Intern, Children’s Defense Fund, Juvenile Justice Policy Group (2015)
- Intern, U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Program Legal Group (2014)
- Secondary Social Studies Teacher, Teach for America, Duval County Public Schools (2010-2012)
- Intern, Richard W. Riley Institute, Diversity Leaders Initiative (2009-2010)
- Intern, Law in Action, Office of Stephen J. Henry (2008)
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2019-2020)
J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., magna cum laude, Furman University
Member, Federal Circuit Bar Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Recognized by Leadership Council on Legal Diversity as a 2021 Compass Award WinnerOctober 27, 2021
- Blog PostCourt Declines to Recognize Scrivener’s Errors in D&O Policy’s Capacity ExclusionWiley Executive SummaryAshley L. CrissOctober 11, 2021
- Blog PostFederal Court Declines to Exercise Jurisdiction Over Rescission ActionWiley Executive SummaryAshley L. CrissSeptember 1, 2021
- Blog PostContract Exclusion Bars Coverage for Deceptive Practices Claims Arising Out of Gym Membership ContractsWiley Executive SummaryAshley L. CrissMay 20, 2021