Wiley Rein’s Jan Baran to Co-Chair Conference on Corporate Political Activities in Washington, D.C., September 10-11
Jan Witold Baran, co-chair of Wiley Rein LLP’s Election Law & Government Ethics Practice, will serve as one of three co-chairs for a two-day seminar organized by the Practising Law Institute (PLI) on “Corporate Political Activities 2015: Complying with Campaign Finance, Lobbying, and Ethics Laws.” In addition, Wiley Rein partner Caleb P. Burns will speak on a panel about “National Conventions and Independent Expenditure Financing.” The seminar will be held September 10-11, 2015 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Washington, DC.
A series of panels will focus on the latest developments in federal and state lobbying, campaign finance, and ethics rules, and will discuss how compliance with those laws is becoming more challenging than ever. In addition, congressional ethics rules, the Lobbying Disclosure Act, and pay-to-play laws—which place additional responsibilities on companies and their executives—will be addressed. The acclaimed program is led by high-level officials from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the U.S. Department of Justice, congressional ethics committees, and state ethics agencies, as well as corporate compliance officers and expert private practitioners.
Subjects to be discussed include:
- Recent cases affecting corporate political activities, including McCutcheon v. FEC
- Eye-popping limits for contributions to political parties
- Q&A with the FEC Chair and Vice Chair
- 2016 National Convention financing and entertainment
- 527 organizations, Super PACs, and campaigning on the Internet
- 501(c)4s: IRS proposals on nonprofits
- FEC and key state ethics agency rulemakings and litigation
- Federal and state pay-to-play laws
- Federal and state lobbying rules, including recent changes
- Shareholder political participation issues
- Recent civil and criminal enforcement cases, policies, and sentencing guidelines
Attendees will include attorneys and others representing political contributors, PACs, lobbyists, corporations, trade and membership associations, unions, and other political interest groups and activists.
PLI offers discounts for groups of 4-14 from the same organization, all registering at the same time. For further discount information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 260-4PLI. Wiley Rein clients receive a special 20% discount for the seminar.
Wiley Rein has one of the premier election law practices in the country, recognized by Chambers USA as “the gold standard in this business.” Led by Mr. Baran and former FEC Chairman Michael E. Toner, the Group represents more than 300 U.S. and foreign corporations and trade associations, as well as individuals, elected officials, campaign committees, political party committees, and other political organizations.
- Election Law & First Amendment Litigation
- Election Law & Government Ethics
- Federal & State Campaign Finance
- Federal & State Lobbying
- Federal & State Pay-to-Play Compliance
- Federal Election Commission Representation
- Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)
- Government Ethics
- Political Law Compliance Counseling
Maria Woehr Aronson
Director of Communications
Senior Communications Manager