Bill counsels and represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability insurance policies.
In addition, Bill advises businesses and institutions on data privacy and cybersecurity matters, from initial containment and recovery to obligations under data privacy laws and responses to government inquiries.
Bill’s legal expertise is complemented by significant operational experience at a major insurance carrier, where he led teams responsible for physical damage coverages in the Mountain West and Mid-Atlantic regions.
- Counsels insurers in matters involving first-party cyber insurance incidents, including claims for business interruption, data recovery, cyber extortion, and other first-party coverages.
- Represents insurers for third-party claims arising from cyber and privacy-related matters, including for technology-related professional services.
- Conducts legal research and drafts pleadings addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for insurers involved in coverage litigation.
- Assists in monitoring complex litigation in state and federal courts and counsels professional liability insurers on coverage issues with respect to such litigation.
- Provides real-time incident response guidance in connection with cybersecurity events and data privacy incidents, such as ransomware, phishing, and business email compromise.
- Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO)
- Claims Director (2015-2019)
- Claims Manager (2012-2015)
- Various management roles (2005-2012)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- American Bar Association
J.D., cum laude, Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
B.S., B.A., with honors and with distinction, The Schreyer Honors College at Pennsylvania State University
Member, Journal of Law, Economics and Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostNeither Contract Exclusion nor Professional Services Exclusion Bar Coverage for Lawsuits Against Insured Alleging Breach of Common Law Duties in Connection With its Fulfillment of Orders for Prescription OpioidsWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIISeptember 5, 2023
- Blog PostClaim Against Physician Arising out of Criminal Misconduct in the Sexual Assault of a Patient Does Not Involve Covered “Professional Services”Wiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIJuly 19, 2023
- Blog PostInsurer’s Allegation “Upon Information and Belief” That Insured Possessed Knowledge or Information Rendering a Warranty False Held Sufficient to Withstand Motion to DismissWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIJune 23, 2023
- Blog PostFact Issues Preclude Summary Judgment As To Whether Related Companies Constitute “Insureds” And Whether Claims Are RelatedWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIMay 17, 2023