Bill counsels and represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability insurance policies.
In addition, Bill advises businesses and institutions on data privacy and cybersecurity matters, from initial containment and recovery to obligations under data privacy laws and responses to government inquiries.
Bill’s legal expertise is complemented by significant operational experience at a major insurance carrier, where he led teams responsible for physical damage coverages in the Mountain West and Mid-Atlantic regions.
- Counsels insurers in matters involving first-party cyber insurance incidents, including claims for business interruption, data recovery, cyber extortion, and other first-party coverages.
- Represents insurers for third-party claims arising from cyber and privacy-related matters, including for technology-related professional services.
- Conducts legal research and drafts pleadings addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for insurers involved in coverage litigation.
- Assists in monitoring complex litigation in state and federal courts and counsels professional liability insurers on coverage issues with respect to such litigation.
- Provides real-time incident response guidance in connection with cybersecurity events and data privacy incidents, such as ransomware, phishing, and business email compromise.
- Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO)
- Claims Director (2015-2019)
- Claims Manager (2012-2015)
- Various management roles (2005-2012)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- American Bar Association
J.D., cum laude, Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
B.S., B.A., with honors and with distinction, The Schreyer Honors College at Pennsylvania State University
Member, Journal of Law, Economics and Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostFact Issues Preclude Summary Judgment As To Whether Related Companies Constitute “Insureds” And Whether Claims Are RelatedWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIMay 17, 2023
- Blog PostDishonesty Exclusion Bars Coverage For Claim Based On Actions Of Contractor Authorized To Conduct Operations On Behalf Of InsuredWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIApril 13, 2023
- Blog PostInsured Bank’s Acceptance of Loan Payments Without Good Faith Constitutes Uninsurable LossWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIFebruary 3, 2023
- Blog PostMultiple Claims Against Insured Related to COVID-19 Outbreak Constitute Separate ClaimsWiley Executive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIJanuary 6, 2023