Bill counsels and represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability insurance policies. Bill’s legal expertise is complemented by significant operational experience at a major insurance carrier, where he served as a claims director with responsibility for physical damage coverages in the Mountain West and Mid-Atlantic regions.
- Counsels insurers in matters involving first-party cyber insurance incidents, including claims for business interruption, data recovery, cyber extortion, and other first-party coverages.
- Represents insurers for third-party claims arising from cyber and privacy-related matters, including for technology-related professional services.
- Conducts legal research and drafts pleadings addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for insurers involved in coverage litigation.
- Assists in monitoring complex litigation in state and federal courts and counsels professional liability insurers on coverage issues with respect to such litigation.
- Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO)
- Claims Director (2015-2019)
- Claims Manager (2012-2015)
- Various management roles (2005-2012)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- American Bar Association
J.D., cum laude, Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
B.S., B.A., with honors and with distinction, The Schreyer Honors College at Pennsylvania State University
Member, Journal of Law, Economics and Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterKentucky Court Holds That Notice-Prejudice Rule Does Not Apply to Claims-Made-And-Reported PoliciesExecutive SummaryApril 2021
- NewsletterJoint Venture Qualifies as a ‘Subsidiary’ Where Insured Holds Partial Economic Interest But 100% of Voting RightsExecutive SummaryJanuary 2021
- NewsletterExcess E&O Insurer Must Reimburse Defense Expenses Pending Resolution of Insured’s Coverage Dispute with Primary D&O InsurerExecutive SummaryNovember 2020
- NewsletterInsurer that Breached Duty to Defend Bears Burden on Allocation of Defense CostsExecutive SummaryOctober 2020