Spencer is an associate in the firm’s Litigation group and represents corporate clients and individuals in a variety of complex litigation matters in state and federal court as well as international tribunals.
Spencer also counsels and advises clients with a variety of issues surrounding online brand management, including matters related to anti-counterfeiting, business and product impersonations, unauthorized online streaming, cyber-based scams, and other Internet disputes.
Litigation and Arbitration:
- Represents relator in major False Claims Act action related to wireless spectrum auctions.
- Represents company in international arbitration against consortium of mining companies in an ICC arbitration seated in Geneva concerning claims arising under a mine exploitation agreement with a West African State.
- Defended a large direct sales company and 15 individuals in federal litigation and four parallel AAA arbitrations.
- Represented major media company challenging FCC media ownership rules that resulted in a successful ruling by the Supreme Court.
- Represented large coalition of domestic manufacturers in novel false advertising claim brought against a Chinese entity engaged in global transshipping scheme to circumvent a U.S. antidumping.
- Represented leading real estate company against South Korea construction company in multi-billion dollar ICC arbitration seated in Singapore over ownership rights in newly constructed, smart city.
- Represented company focusing on fuel cell technology in parallel arbitrations against international energy company in multiple ICC arbitrations over exclusive licensing rights.
- Advised media company on intellectual property issues related to launch of NFT platform.
- Successfully represented multiple parties in domain name transactions and Internet intellectual property enforcement actions responsible for recovering hundreds of domain names.
- Advises media and telecom companies regarding DMCA compliance and legal agreements related to website use.
- Successfully defended a supplement company in federal trademark action that led to withdrawal of action.
- Successfully represented large media company in two John Doe actions based on online trademark and copyright infringement.
- Extern, Office of The District Attorney General, 20th Judicial District, Nashville, TN (2017)
- Legislative Liaison and Member Service Representative, Military Officers Association of America (2014-2016)
- Deputy Campaign Manager, Marc Korman for State Delegate Campaign (2014)
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School
B.A., magna cum laude, Colgate University
Development Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostProperty Rights in NFTs Are in the SpotlightWiley ConnectDuane C. Pozza, Spencer C. Brooks, Tyler BrideganAugust 22, 2022
- Press ReleaseWiley Recognizes Attorneys and Staff in Ninth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationDecember 3, 2021
- Press ReleaseWiley Helps Persuade Supreme Court to Uphold FCC Media Ownership RulesApril 2, 2021
- ArticleProtecting your business from cyberthievesCivil Engineering: The Magazine of the American Society of Civil EngineersAttison L. Barnes, III, Spencer C. Brooks, David E. WeslowNovember 30, 2020