Kat offers counsel to telecommunications and media clients on a variety of regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters. A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, Kat uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
Kat is a contributing author to the “Cybersecurity Risk Management Is a Corporate Responsibility” chapter in the American Bar Association’s 2019 publication, The Lawyer’s Corporate Social Responsibility Deskbook.
- TCPA and State Telemarketing Laws: Counsels a broad range of companies – including media, telecommunications, technology, and health care companies – on Federal Communications Commission (FCC) implementation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Represents companies in enforcement actions and inquiries regarding the TCPA and state telemarketing laws. Offers strategic counsel to clients shaping telephone outreach campaigns to consumers. Assists clients in negotiating settlements of TCPA claims, and assists in defending TCPA litigation. Advises clients on liability issues related to partnering with vendors and other companies for calling campaigns. Conducts broad assessments of telephone outreach activity to identify areas for improvement in TCPA compliance.
- Privacy: Counsels companies on a range of privacy issues, including general Federal Trade Commission (FTC) privacy obligations; obligations associated with geolocation and health information; the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA); state privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and state biometrics privacy laws; and Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI). Assists clients in Privacy Shield self-certification process. Helps clients to develop, draft, and update privacy policies and terms of service. Reviews email campaigns for CAN-SPAM and state commercial email law compliance. Advocates before the FTC, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) regarding emerging privacy frameworks.
- Cybersecurity: Advocates for clients facing emerging compliance and security obligations in the area of cybersecurity, including Internet of Things (IoT) cybersecurity. Drafts comments and assists in crafting advocacy strategies in FCC, FTC, NIST, NTIA, and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) proceedings.
- Compliance and Enforcement: Counsels clients regarding compliance with FCC rules affecting broadcasters and other licensees, including character requirements. Drafts comments, petitions, and other pleadings in proceedings before the FCC. Prepares FCC regulatory filings. Helps to represent companies in enforcement proceedings before the FCC. Advises on responses to inquiries from other agencies, including the FTC and state regulators.
- Transactions: Assists clients in securing regulatory approvals for complex mergers and acquisitions and bankruptcy proceedings. Has experience with foreign ownership issues in both the media and telecommunications space. Performs due diligence for major transactions.
- Pro Bono: Maintains active pro bono practice.
- American University Washington College of Law
- Dean's Fellow, Legal Rhetoric Department (2011-2013)
- Dean's Fellow, Professor Lewis Grossman (2011-2012)
- Law Clerk, Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), Internet Public Interest Opportunities Program (2011)
- Fund for the Public Interest
- Regional Director's Administrator (2009-2010)
- Canvass Director (2007-2009)
- Regional Administrator, Work for Progress (2008)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory of “Ones to Watch” for Technology Law (2021)
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Consumer Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act (CPRA)
J.D., summa cum laude, American University Washington College of Law; Gillett-Mussey Fellowship, Dean’s Merit Scholarship
B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia
Vol. 62 Executive Editor, American University Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT), The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- EventVirginia’s New Privacy Law: How to Navigate the New Privacy FrameworkWileyApril 27, 2021
- AlertSCOTUS Provides TCPA Clarity by Rejecting Expansive Autodialer DefinitionMegan L. Brown, Scott D. Delacourt, Kevin G. Rupy, Kathleen E. Scott, Stephen J. ConleyApril 5, 2021
- AlertCalifornia Attorney General Issues Further Revisions to CCPA Opt-Out RequirementsDuane C. Pozza, Joan Stewart, Kathleen E. ScottMarch 17, 2021
- AlertVirginia Enacts Comprehensive Privacy LegislationJoan Stewart, Duane C. Pozza, Kathleen E. Scott, Kyle M. GutierrezMarch 4, 2021