John represents insurers in connection with coverage issues arising under professional liability insurance policies. His experience includes counseling, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution involving directors and officers, financial institutions, lawyers, cyber risk, and other professional liability coverages.
- Counsels clients regarding a variety of coverage issues arising under professional liability policies.
- Represents insurers in coverage litigation before the state and federal courts around the country.
- Serves as coverage counsel in connection with securities, derivative, and Employment Retirement Income Securities Act (ERISA) litigation, government investigations, and other professional liability claims.
- Advises insurers regarding coverage issues arising from policyholder bankruptcy and claims asserted on behalf of bankruptcy estates.
- Adjunct Instructor of Law, Mississippi College School of Law (2007-2008)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Member (2011-Present), Co-Chair (2013), and Chair (2014-2015), Future PLUS Committee (2016)
- Future PLUS Task Force (2011)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Insurance Law (2017-2018)
- Named to Law360's Insurance Editorial Advisory Board (2021)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in Insurance (2015)
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
B.A., summa cum laude, Tulane University; Phi Beta Kappa
- Law Clerk for the Honorable E. Grady Jolly, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2007-2008)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseSix Wiley Partners Appointed to Law360’s 2021 Editorial Advisory BoardsApril 20, 2021
- ArticleCOVID-19 Fallout May Flood Bankruptcy Courts: Six To-Dos for D&O InsurersPLUS JournalJohn E. HowellAugust 25, 2020
- Blog PostFirst Circuit Holds UBS Puerto Rico Bond Claims Barred by Specific Litigation ExclusionWiley Executive SummaryJohn E. HowellJuly 3, 2019
- NewsletterFirst Circuit Holds UBS Puerto Rico Bond Claims Barred by Specific Litigation ExclusionExecutive SummaryJuly 1, 2019