David focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and transactions involving trademarks, copyrights, and domain names. A former software and web developer, he regularly handles cutting-edge disputes involving law and technology.
David has developed particular expertise helping businesses navigate Internet, software, and anti-counterfeiting issues, and assists clients with the often novel application of intellectual property claims to business and product impersonations, cyber-based scams, intangible thefts, social media issues, and other Internet and software based disputes. He is the author of Bloomberg BNA’s Guide to the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and has represented clients dozens of cybersquatting lawsuits – with hundreds of domain names, websites, and digital assets at issue.
David was named “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal for intellectual property litigation, one of DC’s “Super Lawyers” (2016-2022) and “Rising Stars” (2013-2015) for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine, and a “Leading Practitioner” in Information Technology Law (2016-2017) by Who’s Who Legal: Telecommunications Media & Technology. He received the 2016 “Lonnie Borck Memorial Award” from the Internet Commerce Association for pro bono intellectual property litigation, and The Legal 500 US 2012 recognized him for his practice “relating to online and emerging technology.”
- Developing strategies for global enforcement of IP rights in physical and digital contexts.
- Representing parties in record-setting domain name transactions.
- Preparing a wide range of Internet, new media, and intellectual property agreements and opinions.
- Representing consumer product companies in trademark, copyright, and patent actions throughout the country.
- Representing generic top-level domain (gTLD) applicants and registries, counseling clients on brand protection programs to address new gTLDs, and advising clients in more than one dozen gTLD objection proceedings.
- Representative Reported Cases:
- Central Source LLC v. Aannualcreditreports.com, 2022 WL 3337805 (E.D. Va. 2022)
- BlackRock, Inc. v. BALCKROCK.com, 2022 WL 17684800 (E.D. Va. 2022)
- Bryson v. Nelmajeanbryson.com, 2022 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 205406 (E.D. Va. 2022)
- Fox News Network, LLC v. Doe, No. 2021 WL 5107731 (E.D. Va. 2021).
- Wei v. CEOS.COM, 2021 WL 5513532 (E.D. Va. 2021).
- Fox News Network, LLC v. xofnews.com, 2021 WL 5045065 (E.D. Va. 2021).
- New Mgmt. Servs. LLC v. Newrngtservices, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 137244 (E.D. Va. 2021).
- United Press Int’l v. Global One News, Inc., 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 89608 (M.D. Tenn. 2020).
- Opt out Servs. LLC v. Oproutprescreen, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 188041 (E.D. Va. 2020).
- Stacy Plays Brands, LLC v. StacyPlays.com, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 205712 (E.D. Va. 2020).
- Jewels Connection, Inc. v. Oroclub.com, 2020 WL 5097515 (E.D. Va. 2020).
- Central Source LLC v. annaulcreditreports.com, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 139270 (E.D. Va. 2020).
- K.F. Davis Eng'g, Inc. v. KFDE.com, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24383 (E.D. Va. 2020).
- Almeida v. TabelaFipeBrasil.com, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 115279 (E.D. Va. 2020).
- Chem. Soc'y v. ACSMOBILE.ORG, 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 203626 (E.D. Va. 2019).
- Diginus BV v. 1001.com, 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 206592 (E.D. Va. 2019).
- Fractal Analytics, Inc. v. FractalAnalyticsInc.com, 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 196896 (E.D. Va. 2019).
- Peterman v. Republican Nat'l Comm., 320 F. Supp. 3d 1151 (D. Mont. 2018).
- Montblanc-Simplo GmbH v. Ilnitsky, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24431 (E.D. Va. 2018).
- Central Source LLC v. 15 domain names, 2018 WL 2770194 (E.D. Va. 2018).
- 411 Mania.com, LLC v. Doe, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 147547 (E.D. Va. 2017).
- Central Source LLC v. 10 domain names, 2017 WL 1337798 (E.D. Va. 2017).
- GMF, Inc. v. gmf.com, 2017 WL 2525134 (E.D. Va. 2017).
- Muscle Mass, Inc. v. Doe, 2017 WL 1532025 (E.D. Va. 2017).
- Intercontinental Data Communications Ltd. v. Doe, 2016 WL 8674624 (E.D. Va. 2016).
- Wagner v. Lindawagner.com, 202 F.Supp.3d 574 (E.D. Va. 2016), aff’d, 680 Fed. Appx. 240 (4th Cir. 2017).
- Montblanc-Simplo GmbH v. Montblanc-outlet.co, 2016 WL 9175602 (E.D. Va. 2016).
- American Bar Association (ABA), IP Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) of ICANN’s Generic Names Supporting Organization
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Named to Law360’s Intellectual Property Editorial Advisory Board (2018)
- Recognized as one of the nation’s top “Intellectual Property Trailblazers” by The National Law Journal (2018)
- Named a “Leading Practitioner” in Information Technology Law by Who’s Who Legal: Telecommunications Media & Technology (2016-2017)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Copyright Law (2012)
- Named one of DC’s “Super Lawyers” (2016-2023) and “Rising Stars” for Intellectual Property Litigation (2013-2015) by Super Lawyers magazine
- Received the 2016 “Lonnie Borck Memorial Award” from the Internet Commerce Association
J.D., with honors, University of Maryland School of Law
B.A., Elon College
Articles Editor, Maryland Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth, Ninth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and District of Maryland
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostU.S. Copyright Office Seeks Comment on AI and Copyright Issues in Recent Notice of InquiryWiley ConnectDavid E. Weslow, Jillian M. Quigley, Lisa RechdenSeptember 22, 2023
- AlertPhotographers’ Challenge to Copyright “Server Test” Implicates Critical Internet FunctionsDavid E. Weslow, Spencer C. BrooksAugust 30, 2023
- ArticleCombatting Cybersquatting via Multiple Domain Names Under the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act—A More Effective Weapon Against Widespread CybersquattingIPR DailyDavid E. Weslow, Adrienne J. KosakAugust 29, 2023
- AlertCopyright Fair Use Purpose and Character: SCOTUS Says Transformation Alone Isn’t EnoughDavid E. Weslow, William TurnerMay 19, 2023