Wiley mourns the loss of our friend and partner David Topol, who passed away on September 21, 2023 after a short and aggressive battle with cancer. Throughout his 20 years at the firm, David was a dedicated advocate to his clients, a respected and admired leader in the professional liability insurance industry, and a trusted mentor to many young attorneys.
David represented professional liability insurers in coverage matters before state and federal courts across the country. Chambers USA regularly ranked David in its top-tier of Washington, DC insurance attorneys, calling him a “great strategist and negotiator,” noting he is a “very practical lawyer, who focuses on getting a good result” (2016) and is “very easy to work with, very responsive and experienced, and knowledgeable of the topic and people” (2017).
David served on the boards of many charitable and educational organizations. In 2021, David and his wife Stacey received the Sara and Samuel J. Lessans Community Leadership Award from Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of Greater Washington.
- Served as coverage and monitoring counsel in connection with a variety of professional liability policies, including directors and officers liability, banking, cyber, mutual fund, investment adviser, and fidelity bond policies.
- Represented insurers' interests in connection with resolution of complex securities claims through litigation and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
- Counseled insurers on coverage issues and handling of first-party and third-party claims under cyber policies.
- Represented insurers on representations and warranties policies.
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Enforcement Section (1997-2001)
- Successfully litigated cases under CERCLA, the Clear Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and other environmental laws
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Insurance Law (2023-2024)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Insurance: Insurer (2007-2023)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2011-2020)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Insurance Law (2018-2023)
- U.S. Department of Justice Attorney General's Award (1999)
J.D., Yale Law School
B.A., Cornell University
Executive Editor, The Yale Law Journal
- Law Clerk for the Honorable A. Raymond Randolph, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (1992-1993)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press Release64 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 51 Wiley Lawyers and Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 9, 2023
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 40 Wiley Attorneys in 14 CategoriesJune 1, 2023
- AlertShould Federal Government Insure “Catastrophic Cyber Incidents”? Comments due November 14, 2022Leslie A. Platt, David H. Topol, Megan L. BrownOctober 14, 2022