David represents professional liability insurers in coverage matters before state and federal courts across the country. Chambers USA regularly rates David in its top-tier of Washington, DC insurance attorneys, calling him a “great strategist and negotiator,” noting he is a “very practical lawyer, who focuses on getting a good result” (2016) and is “very easy to work with, very responsive and experienced, and knowledgeable of the topic and people” (2017).
- Serves as coverage and monitoring counsel in connection with a variety of professional liability policies, including directors and officers liability, banking, cyber, mutual fund, investment adviser, and fidelity bond policies.
- Represents insurers' interests in connection with resolution of complex securities claims through litigation and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
- Counsel insurers on coverage issues and handling of first-party and third-party claims under cyber policies.
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Enforcement Section (1997-2001)
- Successfully litigated cases under CERCLA, the Clear Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and other environmental laws
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Insurance (2007-2021)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2011-2020)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Insurance Law (2018-2021)
- U.S. Department of Justice Attorney General's Award (1999)
J.D., Yale Law School
B.A., Cornell University
Executive Editor, The Yale Law Journal
- Law Clerk for the Honorable A. Raymond Randolph, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (1992-1993)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 44 Wiley Lawyers Across Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 11, 2021
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 35 Wiley Attorneys Across 10 Practice Areas as Among Best in the CountryMay 20, 2021
- NewsletterPrivate Investment Funds: Major Developments from 2020Executive SummaryFebruary 2021
- Blog PostPrivate Investment Funds: Major Developments from 2020Wiley Executive SummaryDavid H. TopolJanuary 12, 2021