Dan has more than 30 years of experience and is nationally recognized as a leading attorney in liability insurance coverage matters and disputes. The Legal 500 US commends his status as “one of the top professional liability insurance attorneys in the industry” (2016) and Chambers USA regularly rates Dan in its top-tier of Washington, DC insurance attorneys, calling him “one of the most effective and respected lawyers in the business” (2020) and “one of the most experienced knowledgeable lawyers in his area” (2017). He is “widely respected for the ability to handle high-exposure complex matters” (2019). Dan serves on the firm's Executive and Management Committees.
- Counsels insurance clients on issues relating to a broad range of coverages, including directors and officers liability, investment advisor liability, financial institutions liability, venture capital liability, lawyers professional liability, non-profit and private company liability, media and cyber liability, employment practices liability, and other professional liability lines of coverage.
- Represents insurers in coverage litigation before federal and state courts across the country.
- Serves as counsel for insurers in connection with large-scale, high-profile and/or complex claims, including extensive experience in settlement negotiations and mediations.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia (1989-1993). Represented the U.S., its agencies, officials, and employees in a variety of cases before the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- PLUS Foundation
- President (2017)
- Board of Directors (2012-2017)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- President (2010-2011)
- Board of Trustees (2004-2012)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society’s Founder’s Award (2013)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of “America's Leading Lawyers for Business” in Insurance: Insurer (2005-2023)
- Named one of DC's “Top 100 Lawyers” (2013-2017) and “Super Lawyers” (2007-2023) for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America Directory for Insurance Law (2013-2024)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Insurance Law (2012-2023)
- Included in The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2016)
J.D., The University of Chicago Law School
A.B., magna cum laude, Bowdoin College; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Colorado Bar (Inactive)
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, District of Connecticut, District of Maryland, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Northern District of Illinois, and Southern District of Indiana
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Names Benjamin Eggert Co-Chair of Insurance PracticeDecember 4, 2023
- Press Release64 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 51 Wiley Lawyers and Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 9, 2023
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 40 Wiley Attorneys in 14 CategoriesJune 1, 2023