Michael, a former Chairman of the Federal Election Commission (FEC), is a seasoned election law expert and political veteran with a wealth of experience advising candidates, political committees, trade associations, and corporate clients on federal and state election law compliance. Chambers USA recognizes Michael among the nation’s top-tier of election lawyers, bringing “invaluable” (2015) and “unequal” (2011) insight into the field, and citing sources who note that he is “excellent” (2013) and a “superstar” (2012). Chambers USA further notes that “he calibrates risk, practicality and the law better than 99% of other outside counsel” (2016) and “his background of government service gives him great insight into the workings of the Federal Election Commission and the way it thinks” (2014).
An active author, Michael has contributed to several books including The Surge, Barack Obama and the New America, Pendulum Swing, The Year of Obama, The Sixth Year Itch, and Divided States of America: The Slash and Burn Politics of the 2004 Presidential Election. His articles have been published in The Washington Post, USA Today, The Boston Globe, The Chicago Tribune, The Washington Times, The Hill, Campaigns & Elections, Roll Call, and University of Virginia Professor Larry Sabato’s Crystal Ball. He has appeared as a guest commentator on Fox News Channel, ABC News, CBS Evening News, MSNBC, Bloomberg News, Fox Business Network, C-SPAN, The BBC, and National Public Radio.
- Advises corporations, trade associations, campaign committees, political party committees, and individuals on complying with federal and state election laws, federal and state lobbying laws, ethics and gift restrictions, Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) matters and congressional investigations.
- Counsels members of Congress, Executive branch officials, Executive branch nominees, and others regarding compliance with ethics laws and rules, including financial statements and other disclosure obligations associated with confirmation proceedings.
- Served as outside counsel to former Florida Governor Jeb Bush’s presidential campaign.
- Chairman (2006) and Commissioner (2002-2007), Federal Election Commission
- Chief Counsel (2001-2002) and Deputy Counsel (1997-1999), Republican National Committee (RNC)
- General Counsel, Bush-Cheney Transition Team in Washington, DC and Bush-Cheney 2000 Presidential Campaign
- Counsel, Dole-Kemp Presidential Campaign (1996)
- Outside Counsel, Tim Pawlenty’s Presidential Campaign (2011)
- Outside Counsel, Fred Thompson’s Presidential Campaign (2007-2008)
- Adjunct Law Professor, William & Mary Law School (Ongoing)
- Lecturer, University of Virginia (2003)
- Board of Advisors, University of Virginia Center for Politics
- The Council on Governmental Ethics Laws (COGEL)
- President of the Board of Trustees, National Presbyterian School
- Public Affairs Council (PAC)
- State Government Affairs Council (SGAC)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Government Relations (2012-2019)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," in Political Law which commends him for being "heralded as an authority in campaign finance" (2010-2019)
- Named one of "Washington's Best Lawyers" (2011, 2013) and one of "Washington's Top Lawyers" (2015, 2017, 2018) by Washingtonian magazine
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Political Law (2012-2013) and Legislative & Governmental Affairs (2014-2018) by Super Lawyers magazine
- One of 10 named by Campaigns & Elections to “The Influencers 50: Enforcers” (2013)
J.D., cum laude, Cornell Law School
M.A., Johns Hopkins University
B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Launches Coronavirus Task Force to Help Clients With Emerging IssuesMarch 26, 2020
- Media MentionMichael Toner Comments on Gaps in Anti-Corporate PAC PledgeRoll CallMarch 12, 2020
- EventCompliance Roundtable: Raffles, Sweepstakes and Other Incentives2020 National Public Affairs Council ConferenceMarch 3, 2020
- EventAssociation PAC Compliance Overview2020 National Public Affairs Council ConferenceMarch 2, 2020