Wiley advises clients on compliance with all federal, state, and local ethics laws.
Our Practice offers a variety of services to help corporations, trade associations, lobbyists and lobbying firms, government officials, candidates, and private individuals navigate the complex array of federal ethics laws, including the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 (HLOGA) and congressional and Executive branch ethics rules. Notably, our Practice includes Robert L. Walker, former Chief Counsel and Staff Director of both the Senate and House ethics committees, who has extensive experience in this area. We provide guidance on congressional and other government gift rules, personal financial disclosure reporting requirements, conflict of interest and post-employment restrictions, and other issues implicated by federal ethics laws. We also represent Members of Congress, congressional employees, and Executive branch political appointees in seeking advice from the congressional ethics committees and the Office of Government Ethics. In addition, we represent clients in sensitive investigations by the Senate Select Committee on Ethics, the House Committee on Ethics, and the Office of Congressional Ethics.
Wiley also advises clients on state- and local-level ethics issues. Every state, the District of Columbia, and many municipalities have their own, often overlapping, ethics laws governing interactions with government officials. Our guidance covers all aspects of state and local ethics from gift, travel, and honoraria rules to conflicts of interest and post-employment restrictions, as well as other rules unique to each state or municipality. Our annual State Lobbying & Gift Law Guide provides a comprehensive overview of the lobbying, gift, and ethics laws in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia. Wiley’s expertise in this area is national in scope, and we are available to provide prompt advice on these issues in any state or local jurisdiction.
- Congressional Investigations and Oversight
- Election Law & First Amendment Litigation
- Federal Election Commission Representation
- Federal Gift Rules Assistant Mobile Application
- Federal & State Campaign Finance
- Federal & State Ethics
- Federal & State Lobbying
- Federal & State Pay-to-Play
- Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Anti‑Corruption
- Lobbying & Campaign Finance Reporting Services
- Pay-to-Play Survey
- Political Law Compliance Counseling
- State Lobbying & Gift Law Guide
- Tax-Exempt Organizations Compliance Counseling
Related News & Insights
- AlertPresident Biden Issues Ethics Executive Order for Appointees; Trump Revokes Ethics Pledge for His AdministrationJanuary 21, 2021Robert L. Walker, Louisa Brooks, Hannah J. Miller
- PodcastA Breakdown of the Biden-Harris Transition Ethics PlanPolitical Law PodcastOctober 13, 2020Robert L. Walker, Hannah J. Miller
- AlertWiley Rein Launches Smartphone App on Federal Gift RulesSeptember 12, 2019Michael E. Toner, D. Mark Renaud
- ArticleThe Senate couldn’t refuse to seat Roy Moore. But it could kick him out.The Washington PostDecember 11, 2017Robert L. Walker