Bill serves as consulting counsel to Wiley, having recently concluded eight years as Chief of the Media Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). He advises clients on media and telecommunications issues, with special attention to navigating the federal regulatory regimes.
- Served as coordinator of the digital transition of the television broadcast industry while at the FCC.
- As a recent member of the FCC’s steering committee for the broadcast spectrum incentive auction, was closely involved in the planning of the auction and preparation for the post-auction repacking process.
- Chief, Media Bureau, Federal Communications Commission (2009-2017)
- Coordinator, Digital Television Transition, Federal Communications Commission (2009)
- Counselor to the Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency (1991-1992)
- Principal Deputy Legal Adviser, U.S. Department of State (1980-1981)
- Counsel, Council on Environmental Quality (1970-1973)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
L.L.B., Stanford Law School
B.A., summa cum laude, Yale University
President, Stanford Law Review
- Law Clerk for the Honorable John M. Harlan, Supreme Court of the United States (1969-1970)
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Henry J. Friendly, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1968-1969)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims