Tara counsels and represents government contractors and subcontractors on the full range of government contracting issues, including advice and litigation related to bid protests, contract claims and disputes, construction, cost allowability and compliance issues, commercial item contracting, and strategic alliances such as teaming agreements and subcontracts.
- Regularly represents clients in bid protests before the Government Accountability Office (GAO), U.S. Court of Federal Claims, federal government agencies, and state and local administrative entities.
- Assists clients in analyzing, preparing, submitting, and negotiating requests for equitable adjustment and certified claims related to issues arising in contract performance.
- Represents government contractors in disputes with the federal government, including litigation of claims and appeals of contracting officer final decisions at the Armed Services and Civilian Boards of Contract Appeals (ASBCA and CBCA).
- Advises clients on all aspects of government contracting, including small business subcontracting and socioeconomic obligations; organizational conflict of interest (OCI) identification and mitigation; domestic preference requirements and country of origin issues under the Buy American Act (BAA) and Trade Agreements Act (TAA); data rights; and cybersecurity, including Section 889 compliance.
- Assists clients in crafting, negotiating, and, if necessary, litigating a wide variety of business agreements, including teaming agreements, subcontracts, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Assists companies entering or considering entering the federal marketplace with a wide variety of government contract issues, including training and counseling on standard contract clause requirements, development and implementation of compliance programs, and regulation and oversight of the supply chain.
- Represents construction contractors, subcontractors, owners, developers, design professionals, and insurers in construction disputes before the Boards of Contract Appeals, in federal court, and in arbitrations.
- Counsels clients on issues related to the government's acquisition of commercial products and services, as well as issues related to GSA Schedule contracts, including commercial sales practices disclosures (CSP), price reductions, audits, and other Schedule contracting issues.
- Advises clients regarding cost allowability issues and compliance issues, including FAR Part 31 cost principles, the Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) audits, and business system audits.
- Professorial Lecturer in Law, The George Washington Law School (2009-Present)
- Research Assistant, Professor Peter Raven-Hansen, The George Washington Law School (2007-2008)
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable Richard J. Leon, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2007)
- Legislative Assistant to Chairman Gordon H. Smith, Senate Special Committee on Aging (2004-2006)
- Legislative Correspondent, Office of U.S. Senator Peter Fitzgerald (2003-2004)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Editor-in-Chief (2017-Present), Managing Editor (2015-2017), and Associate Editor (2011-2015), Public Contract Law Journal
- Bid Protest Committee
- Contract Claims and Disputes Resolution Committee
- Commercial Products and Services Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- National Contract Management Association (NCMA) (2010-Present)
- Recognized by Law360 as a “Rising Star” in Government Contracts Law (2021)
Listed by Chambers USA as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” in Government Contracts (2021)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Government Contracts (2019-2021)
- Named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” for Government Contracts by Super Lawyers magazine (2015-2020)
- Named a Washington Power Player Finalist by SmartCEO (2014)
J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
A.B., magna cum laude, Princeton University
Editor-in-Chief, Public Contract Law Journal
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Mary Ellen Coster Williams, U.S. Court of Federal Claims (2010-2011)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Related News & Insights
- EventThere's No "I" in Teaming Agreements: Key Considerations and Documents for Government Contractors and Prospective PartnersLawlineAugust 30, 2021
- EventHello (Goodbye) to OCIs: Navigating and Mitigating Organizational Conflicts of Interest in the Federal MarketplaceLawlineJuly 13, 2021
- PodcastTeeming with Teaming Agreements: Navigating Strategic Alliances in the Federal MarketplaceWiley PodcastDaniel B. Hassett, Tara L. WardJuly 12, 2021
- Press ReleaseWiley’s Tara Ward Profiled by Law360 as a Government Contracts ‘Rising Star’June 18, 2021