A seasoned litigator, Scott focuses on complex commercial disputes, including representation of leading broadcast and entertainment companies in high-profile copyright infringement litigation. He also advises domestic and global corporations on a range of other matters involving Internet services and technologies, intellectual property, and financial disputes. With extensive experience in all aspects of civil litigation, as well as a background in management consulting, Scott is adept not only at crafting legal strategy, but also in managing risk and resolving cases in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective manner. In addition to his commercial practice, Scott is active in pro bono representations including advocacy on behalf of LGBT individuals and on First Amendment issues.
- Represented Viacom in its landmark copyright infringement case against Google and YouTube.
- Represented numerous broadcasters in copyright infringement litigation against Internet television service Aereo.
- Represented the major recording companies in federal copyright infringement litigation against an online music provider.
- Counseled numerous clients on the use of minors in movies and television programs and compliance with federal child pornography laws and the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act.
- Monitored Credit Suisse AG following the bank’s $715 million settlement with the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Represented Brookfield Asset Management in litigation against AIG regarding an interest rate swap agreement.
- Partner (2010-2019), Associate (2003-2009), Private law practice (2010-2019)
- Engagement Manager (1998-1999), Associate (1996-1998), McKinsey & Company
- Acting France Desk Officer (1994), Junior France Desk Officer (1993-1994), International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” (2013) by Super Lawyers magazine
- Named one of “40 Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40” By the National LGBT Bar Association (2010)
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
M.Sc., The London School of Economics and Political Science, International Relations, Fulbright Scholar
B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Highest Distinction in Political Science and Economics; Honors in Political Science, Morehead Scholar
Editor, Harvard Law Review
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Raymond C. Fisher, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2002-2003)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- California Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Seventh, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Related News & Insights
- PodcastBostock v. Clayton County: The Supreme Court Decision and What it Means for the FutureWiley on EmploymentDouglas C. Dreier, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Scott B. WilkensJuly 29, 2020
- AlertNTIA Files Rulemaking Petition Seeking “Clarification” of Section 230, as Required by Recent Executive OrderKathleen A. Kirby, Megan L. Brown, Duane C. Pozza, Joshua S. Turner, Scott B. Wilkens, Sara M. BaxenbergJuly 28, 2020
- Blog PostJustice Department Proposes Reform of Online Liability Shield – Section 230 of the Communications Decency ActWiley ConnectPeter S. Hyun, Megan L. Brown, Scott B. Wilkens, Duane C. PozzaJune 19, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Amicus Briefs Help Persuade Supreme Court to Protect LGBTQ Workers’ Civil Rights in Landmark RulingJune 15, 2020