Rick serves as a consultant to Wiley. He has more than 40 years of government and industry experience in radio communication, spectrum management, new technologies, RF emissions and measurements, telecommunications regulations, and technical compliance issues. Rick assists clients with understanding current and proposed regulations, and helps translate complex technical concepts and arguments into understandable and compelling advocacy.
- Represented Sprint Corporation on numerous spectrum, licensing, and rulemaking proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Capitol Hill, and other government agencies.
- Represented Sprint in various spectrum and technology activities within industry trade associations, including CTIA, 5G Americas, and WIA.
- Represented the FCC in bi-lateral negotiations involving the sharing of spectrum along the U.S. borders.
- Represented the FCC and the United States at various international conferences and meetings, and led U.S. delegation to International Telecommunication Union (ITU) study group on third-generation wireless systems.
- Participated as a technical expert and representative of the FCC in various standards bodies, including ANSI, IEEE, C63, ITU, and CISPR.
- Director, Spectrum Resources, Sprint Corporation, Government Affairs (2007-2017)
- Federal Communications Commission (1977-2007)
- Chief Engineer, International Bureau (2002-2007)
- Chief, International Bureau, Policy and Negotiations Division (1997-2002)
- Chief, Office of Engineering & Technology, Standards Development Branch (1989-1997)
- Chief, Field Operations Bureau (now known as Enforcement Bureau), Inspections and Investigations Branch (1985-1989)
- Other engineering positions dealing with field enforcement and radio broadcasting (1977-1985)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
B.S. Electrical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostFCC Releases Draft 3.5 GHz Auction ProceduresWiley ConnectRichard B. Engelman, Meredith G. SingerFebruary 7, 2020
- AlertFCC Proposes 3.5 GHz Auction ProceduresAnna M. Gomez, Ari Meltzer, Richard B. Engelman, Meredith G. SingerOctober 2, 2019
- AlertSummary of Incentive Auction Bidding Procedures for Auction 103 (Upper 37 GHz, 39 GHz, and 47 GHz bands)Edgar Class, Ari Meltzer, Madeleine M. Lottenbach, Richard B. EngelmanJuly 16, 2019
- AlertFCC to Auction Unassigned 2.5 GHz Spectrum for Commercial UseAnna M. Gomez, Scott D. Delacourt, Edgar Class, Richard B. EngelmanJuly 12, 2019