Richard counsels clients on health care regulatory, transactional, and litigation matters. Richard places an emphasis on providing practical, actionable advice to health plans regarding compliance with federal law, including all health care programs (e.g., Medicare and Medicaid). Richard also represents health plans in the negotiation, drafting, and administration of large service contracts, including pharmacy benefit management (PBM) and behavioral health contracts.
Richard’s legal expertise is complemented by his significant experience in the Medicaid managed care sector as the former General Counsel, and Chief Compliance Officer, of Trillium Health Resources. His experience has enabled him to deftly navigate clients through complex contractual and regulatory matters involving state agencies and national vendors, as well as in state, federal, and administrative courts.
- Advises on and evaluates health care corporate compliance programs, including assessments of whether health plans meet evolving legal, contractual, and regulatory standards.
- Provides legal counseling on all aspects of health care and Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) contracting, including contract drafting and negotiation, contract administration, and dispute resolution.
- Advises on matters of privacy and security implicating the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and 42 CFR Part 2.
- Defends cases brought by Medicaid providers and suppliers against health plans and contractors in state, federal, and administrative courts.
- General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer, Trillium Health Resources (2015-2021)
- Partner, Private law practice (2006-2015)
- Associate, Private law practice (2003-2006)
- Associate, Private law practice (2002-2003)
J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill
B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with Distinction and Highest Honors
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Graham C. Mullen, U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina (2000)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- North Carolina Bar