Martha’s practice focuses on labor and employment law, government contracts, and litigation and arbitration. She represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of business-related and employment issues. Her areas of emphasis include disputes related to trade secrets and unfair competition, federal and state employment law, and all stages of government contracts proceedings. Martha’s litigation and arbitration experience allow her to provide effective insights in counseling clients in all aspects of labor and employment compliance, from developing company handbooks, drafting employment contracts, enforcing best practices, and conducting internal investigations through prosecuting or defending claims before state, federal, or international tribunals.
- Experience representing corporations in complex commercial and government contracts litigation and arbitration and internal investigations.
- Counsels and represents clients in protection of trade secrets and intellectual property, as well as non-competition, non-solicitation, defamation, and other business torts. Represents businesses in federal and state employment matters, including issues related to Title II of the Civil Rights Act, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the American with Disabilities Act.
- Negotiates and drafts executive/talent employment and separation agreements, develops employee handbooks, and advises on employment best practices.
- Represents clients in front of state and federal courts, as well as agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Counsels government contractors during Office of the Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) audits regarding federal contractors’ affirmative action and non-discrimination obligations.
- Judicial Extern, Chambers of Judge Joel C. Hoppe, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia (2017-2018)
- Research Assistant to Professor Albert Carr, Washington and Lee University School of Law (2017-2018)
- Research Assistant to Professor Douglas Rendleman, Washington and Lee University School of Law (2016-2018)
- Judicial Intern, Chambers of Judge Robert R. Rigsby, District of Columbia Superior Court (2016)
J.D., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University School of Law; Order of the Coif
M.A., with Merit, Royal Holloway, University of London
B.A., University of Pittsburgh
Managing Online Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
Junior Editor, German Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
Related News & Insights
- AlertUpdates from the Department of Labor and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Regarding COVID-19Todd A. Bromberg, Christine E. Connelly, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Martha G. VázquezJuly 31, 2020
- AlertD.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser Issues a Mandatory “Wearing of Masks” OrderTodd A. Bromberg, Christine E. Connelly, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Martha G. VázquezJuly 23, 2020
- AlertSupreme Court Rules that Title VII Prohibits Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender IdentityTodd A. Bromberg, Christine E. Connelly, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Martha G. VázquezJune 15, 2020
- AlertAn Employer's Guide to State Reopening OrdersTodd A. Bromberg, Christine E. Connelly, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Martha G. VázquezJune 10, 2020