Maggie represents U.S. and European insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes and monitoring complex claims arising under a variety of insurance policies, including directors and officers, professional liability, media and technology, employment practices liability, lawyers malpractice, and cyber.
- Obtained favorable summary judgment ruling, holding that a lawsuit against arising out of three alleged errors constituted a single “claim” under consecutive architects and engineers policies. Nova Southeastern Univ., Inc. v. Continental Cas. Co., No. 18-CIV-61842-RAR (S.D. Fla. Dec. 27, 2019).
- Successfully represented insurer on appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court from a nearly $14 million judgment, obtaining a decision reversing the judgment on choice of law grounds and directing that judgment be entered for the insurer. Travelers Indemnity Co. v. CNH Industrial America, LLC, 2018 WL 3434562 (Del. July 16, 2018).
- Secured favorable summary judgment ruling holding that non-specific,” “boiler-plate” notice of potential claim was insufficient to provide notice of claim and affirmance on appeal. First Horizon Nat'l Corp. v. Houston Cas. Co., No. 15-cv-2235-SHL-dkv, 2017 WL 2954716 (W.D. Tenn. June 23, 2017); First Horizon Nat'l Corp. v. Houston Cas. Co., 742 F. App'x 905 (6th Cir. 2018).
- Obtained multiple successful discovery-related rulings for insurer on issues relating to reserves, reinsurance, privilege, work product, compliance with procedural requirements, and discovery regarding claims against other policyholders. First Horizon Nat'l Corp. v. Houston Cas. Co., 15-cv-2235-SHL-dkv, 2016 WL 5869580 (W.D. Tenn. Oct. 5, 2016) & 2016 WL 5867268 (W.D. Tenn. Oct. 5, 2016) & 2017 WL 3252238 (W.D. Tenn. Mar. 6, 2017).
- Advises insurers on potential coverage issues, including the applicability of various policy conditions and exclusions.
- Serves as monitoring counsel for both U.S. and European insurers in connection with ongoing complex insurance litigation matters in U.S. state and federal courts.
- Represents insurers in complex insurance litigation.
- Government Relations Intern, American Enterprise Institute (2011)
- Intern, Congressman Eric Cantor and Office of the Republican Whip (2010)
- Intern, Center for Health Transformation (2009)
J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., cum laude, Washington & Lee University
Administrative Editor, Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and Western District of Tennessee
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterLawsuit Arising Out of Three Design Errors is a Single “Claim,” and Prior Knowledge and Prior Notice Provisions Bar CoverageExecutive SummaryMargaret D. ThomasJanuary 2020
- NewsletterFraud Exclusion Inapplicable Where Insured Unwittingly Transferred Funds to FraudstersExecutive SummaryMargaret D. ThomasDecember 2019
- NewsletterCourt Sends Disputes Regarding Cooperation and Prior Knowledge to the JuryExecutive SummaryMargaret D. ThomasNovember 1, 2019
- NewsletterInsurer Did Not Breach Any Duty to Insured Where Payment of Defense Costs Exhausted Policy LimitExecutive SummaryMargaret D. ThomasOctober 1, 2019