Madeline represents clients in a variety of complex litigation and appellate matters in federal and state courts, as well as in government and internal investigations. A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, Madeline uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Representing a law firm in parallel U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) municipal bond investigations.
- Representing an individual in parallel DOJ and SEC insider trading investigations.
- Representing a medical device company in an investigation into potential off-label promotion of its products.
- Representing a contractor in a complex False Claims Act (FCA) investigation into its scheduling and time-charging practices.
- Successfully represented a detained lawful permanent resident before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, obtaining dismissal of his deportation order.
- Represented multiple individuals in connection with an SEC investigation regarding misrepresentation of sales data.
- Represented a luxury goods manufacturer in successfully securing damages and a permanent injunction against an individual for selling counterfeit products.
- Represented a government contractor in a successful settlement with the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) regarding potential debarment.
- Successfully defended a multinational technology company on appeal in a Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower action.
- Represented multiple individuals in a high-profile public corruption investigation.
- Part of a team that represented a major shipbuilder in the successful defense of a $400 million False Claims Act case.
- Represented an individual from China seeking political asylum in the United States before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented a pro bono client in an appellate proceeding to secure Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits.
- Research Assistant, Professor Miriam Galston, The George Washington University Law School (2012)
- Legal Intern, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (2012)
- Editorial Assistant, Professor Don Fulsom, American University (2011)
- Intern, New York State Democratic Assembly Campaign Committee (2010)
- New York State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Vice-Chair, Events Committee, American Constitution Society DC Chapter
J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., magna cum laude, American University
Articles Editor, The George Washington Law Review
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Robert C. Chambers, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia (2014-2015)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- ArticlePolitical Intelligence and Government Contracting: Impact of Blaszczak Opinion on Insider Trading ProsecutionsWestlawMadeline J. Cohen, Kevin B. Muhlendorf, Brian WalshFebruary 13, 2020
- NewsletterPolitical Intelligence & Government Contracting: Impact of Blaszczak Opinion on Insider Trading ProsecutionsGovernment Contracts Issue UpdateFebruary 2020
- ArticleTakeaways From DOJ Fraud Section's Enforcement UptickLaw360Madeline J. Cohen, Kevin B. MuhlendorfFebruary 6, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 19 Individuals in Seventh Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationOctober 29, 2019