Lawrence is a registered patent attorney with a Ph.D. in microbiology who has over 20 years of experience in biotechnology, medical device, and pharmaceutical (small molecule and biologics) patent counseling, litigation, and technology transfer. Having served on several professional school faculties, he is also a recognized intellectual property law scholar.
- Represented Abbreviated New Drug Applicant for generic Abilify® (aripiprazole) in Hatch-Waxman litigation before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Represented, as lead counsel, a global medical technology company in an amicus curiae submission before the Supreme Court of the United States in Teva Pharms. USA, Inc. v. Sandoz, Inc.
- Represented Abbreviated New Drug Applicant for generic Toviaz® (fesoterodine fumarate) in Hatch-Waxman litigation before the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented Abbreviated New Drug Applicant for generic Treanda® (bendamustine hydrochloride) in Hatch-Waxman litigation before the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Conducted an intellectual property due diligence investigation involving drug therapies for cancer and inflammatory disorders for a biopharmaceutical company client resulting in a successful $925 million acquisition.
- Represented, as lead counsel, a global medical technology company in an amicus curiae submission before the U.S. Supreme Court in Bilski v. Kappos.
- Professor, John Hopkins University Carey Business School (2013-Present)
- Lecturer, Catholic University of American Columbus School of Law (2013-Present)
- Professor and Intellectual Property Law Program Director, University of Maryland School of Law (2001-2012)
- Former Consultant, National Institutes of Health, National Human Genome Research Institute
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Asian-Pacific American Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Past Chair, Partners’ Forum
- The National Research Council
- Past Chair, Committee on Intellectual Property Concerns for Toxicogenomics
- Former Member, Committee on Validation of Toxicogenomics Technologies
- Former Member, The National Academies Standing Committee on Emerging Issues and Data on Environmental Contaminants
- Former Patent Peer Review Committee Member, The Biojudiciary Project: A Jurist’s Guide to 21st Century Biotechnology
- Named one of DC's “Super Lawyers” for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2018-2020)
Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Biotechnology Law (2013-2021) and named “Lawyer of the Year” for Biotechnology Law in Washington, DC (2016)
J.D., cum laude, American University Washington College of Law
Ph.D., Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
B.A., University of Pennsylvania
Federal Circuit Editor, The American University Law Review
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Raymond C. Clevenger III, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (1993-1995)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Related News & Insights
- Press Release28 Wiley Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 20, 2020
- AlertFederal Circuit Patent Bulletin: BASF Corp. v. Johnson Matthey Inc.Lawrence M. Sung, Neal SethDecember 14, 2017
- AlertFederal Circuit Patent Bulletin: Promega Corp. v. Life Techs. Corp.Lawrence M. Sung, Neal SethDecember 12, 2017
- AlertFederal Circuit Patent Bulletin: In re Micron Tech., Inc.Lawrence M. Sung, Neal SethDecember 12, 2017