Katy helps clients with a range of telecommunications regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters, representing clients before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Congress, the Administration, and other federal agencies. She has significant expertise in wireless issues, including matters involving unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or drones). She provides advice and counsel on spectrum policy and allocation, wireless transactions, regulation of emerging technologies, responding to agency inquiries, and data privacy/cybersecurity matters.
Katy is a certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, and uses the LLSI process and project management approach to deliver increased value to clients.
- Assists major global companies with telecommunications regulatory strategy and policy initiatives.
- Helps clients navigate wireless and satellite policy and rulemaking proceedings in a rapidly changing regulatory environment, frequently preparing comments and other legal pleadings.
- Has substantial experience with all aspects of securing FCC approval for both complex mergers and acquisitions as well as smaller telecommunications transactions.
- Provides advice on U.S. unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) legal, regulatory, and public policy issues, including analysis of FCC and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and state and local considerations.
- Counsels clients on emerging regulation applicable to broadband connected devices/Internet of Things (IoT).
- Experience in data privacy/cybersecurity issues, particularly concerning supply chain integrity and security updates and patching.
- Advises established and emerging space ventures on satellite, earth station, and international telecommunications matters. Assists satellite clients with satellite applications, milestone compliance, and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Assists with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements regarding communications transactions.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice. Katy has represented indigent individuals in landlord/tenant matters and in multiple Social Security benefits appeals.
- Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois, Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (2008)
- Legal Intern, Advocacy Forum-Nepal (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Wireless Telecommunications Committee
- Founding Member and Co-Chair, Internet of Things Committee (2017-2019)
- Named to Law360’s Telecommunications Editorial Advisory Board (2018)
- Named one of DCA Live’s “Rising Stars of Law 40 under 40” (2018)
- Named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2017-2019, 2021)
- Selected as a semi-finalist in the 2018 “Women to Watch in UAS” awards.
J.D., cum laude, Washington University School of Law
B.A., Emory University
Associate Editor, Washington University Journal of Law & Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- Blog PostNew Florida Law Allows Expanded Governmental Drone Usage—But Only with Some DronesWiley ConnectKyle M. Gutierrez, Katy J. MilnerJuly 19, 2021
- AlertFCC to Establish Innovation Zone for UAS Spectrum ExperimentsAnna M. Gomez, Katy J. Milner, Joshua S. Turner, Sara M. BaxenbergJuly 16, 2021
- AlertFCC Releases Proposal to Tackle Security in Equipment Authorizations, Spectrum Auction Certifications, and BeyondMegan L. Brown, Anna M. Gomez, Amb. David A. Gross, Thomas M. Johnson, Jr., Katy J. Milner, Meredith G. Singer, Joshua S. Turner, David E. Hilliard, Michael L. DiakiwskiJune 22, 2021
- Blog PostAbove and Beyond: FAA Administrator Announces Formation of Beyond Visual Line of Sight Rulemaking Committee for DronesWiley ConnectKaty J. Milner, Anna M. GomezJune 11, 2021