John has more than 20 years experience as a senior insurance industry executive, serving as both chief claims officer and general counsel. He specializes in claims and legal issue management, regulatory and compliance issues, complex insurance, and mass tort litigation. A principal focus of John’s practice involves having served for more than 20 years as a certified insurance and reinsurance arbitrator for complex matters in both the United States and Great Britain.
- Served as party-appointed arbitrator in a substantial insured v. insurer “Bermuda Form” arbitration dispute which ultimately resulted in a clarification of Chairman/arbitrator disclosure requirements by the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.
- Advises clients on complex litigation and resolution strategy, claims management best practices, and insurance/reinsurance issues.
- Provides expert consultation on claims practices and mass tort exposures, including bad faith and insurance coverage disputes.
- Provides strategic advice on arbitration and litigation exposure, claim best practices, and regulatory compliance.
- Executive Vice President and Chief Claims Officer, Zurich North America and Corporate Director, Zurich American Insurance Company (2000-2002). Responsible for the direction of all North American claim operations for the third largest U.S. commercial insurer
- Executive Vice President Legal Services, Zurich American Insurance Group (1992-2000)
- Senior Vice President and Chief Claims Officer (1990-1992) and Senior Vice President and General Counsel (1986-1990), Maryland Casualty Company
- American Insurance Association (AIA)
- Alternate, Board of Governors (1986-1991)
- Claims Administration and Law & Regulation Committee (1987-2002)
- Founding Board Member, Asbestos Claim Managers Association (1981-1985)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) (1990-2022)
- Vice President, Insurance and Board of Governors (1994-1996)
- Founding Chair, Insurance Environmental Litigation Association (1986-1988)
- Included in The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2013-2022)
J.D., University of Baltimore School of Law
B.A., Rutgers University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Certified Arbitrator, Certified Umpire, AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS)