Hap provides strategic advice on legislative, public policy, and legal issues for the firm’s clients in the communications and technology sectors. During more than a decade of service as a professional staff member and policy advisor to members of the United States Senate, Hap gained valuable experience in public policy and the legislative process. He regularly advised members of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on media, wireline, wireless, internet, technology, privacy, and data security policy.
- Led efforts to draft and negotiate multiple pieces of legislation, including bills related to STELA reauthorization, broadband deployment (Mobile Now Act), Federal Communications Commission (FCC) reauthorization, retransmission consent reform, net neutrality, and data security and breach notification.
- Developed and managed non-legislative actions related to FCC proposals and orders, including broadcast exclusivity, pay-TV set-top boxes, broadband privacy, and universal service programs.
- Prepared statements and questions for more than a dozen hearings on issues including FCC oversight, broadband privacy regulation, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the universal service Connect America Fund, wireless broadband development, net neutrality, and video market competition.
- Advised on legislative efforts related to Communications Act reforms, the 2008 economic crisis, and the 2009 Stimulus.
- Professional Staff Member, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation (2011-2017)
- Legislative Assistant, Office of Senator Jim DeMint (2005-2010)
- Director of Correspondence and Policy Assistant, Office of Governor Haley Barbour (2003-2004)
B.S., cum laude, University of South Carolina
Related News & Insights
- PodcastDeciphering the Federal Privacy Debate: A Closer Look at How the Two New Senate Proposals Line UpWiley ConnectedMegan L. Brown, Boyd Garriott, Hap Rigby, Kathleen E. ScottDecember 13, 2019
- Alert116th Congress Focus on 5G, with New Legislation on SecurityMegan L. Brown, Ambassador David A. Gross, Hap Rigby, Kevin G. RupyMarch 29, 2019
- AlertCongress Passes the RAY BAUM’S Act of 2018, and Other Telecom Provisions as Part of Omnibus Spending BillShawn H. Chang, Hap Rigby, Madeleine M. LottenbachMarch 23, 2018
- AlertU.S. House Passes the RAY BAUM’S Act of 2018Shawn H. Chang, Hap Rigby, Madeleine M. LottenbachMarch 7, 2018