Eric specializes in the regulation of political activity under federal and state campaign finance, lobbying, tax, and government ethics laws. He has served previously as interim general counsel at one of the largest national political non-profit organizations and as counsel to a commissioner at the Federal Election Commission (FEC), in which capacity he advised on more than 1,000 agency enforcement actions and advisory opinions and authored and negotiated substantial portions of rulemakings. Eric is frequently published on political law issues in USA Today, Roll Call, The Hill, Politico, and The Washington Times and serves as a pro bono adviser to the Institute for Free Speech (IFS).
- Advise leadership political action committees (PACs), congressional campaign committees, corporate PACs, non-connected PACs, and political non-profits on compliance with federal and state campaign finance and tax laws.
- Represent political and corporate clients in FEC enforcement proceedings and advisory opinion requests.
- Advise corporate and trade association clients on federal and state lobbying registration, reporting, and ethics laws.
- Advise and represent issue advocacy organizations in corporate formation and application for tax-exempt status.
- Counsel government contractors on state and local pay-to-play laws.
- Review clients' issue and campaign advertising for compliance with campaign finance, grassroots lobbying, and tax laws.
- Advise clients on state voter registration and early voting laws.
- Interim General Counsel and Legal Counsel, Americans for Prosperity (2012-2013)
- Counsel, Federal Election Commission, Office of Commissioner Caroline C. Hunter (2008-2012)
- Research Analyst, National Republican Senatorial Committee (2003)
- Deputy Press Secretary, Forrester for U.S. Senate (2002)
- Press Assistant, Lazio for U.S. Senate (2000)
- The Federalist Society
- Senior Fellow, Institute for Free Speech (IFS)
- Republican National Lawyers Association (RNLA)
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
A.B., magna cum laude, Princeton University
Articles Editor, Journal of Law and Politics
Articles Editor, Virginia Law and Business Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterLos Angeles Bans Campaign Contributions From Certain DevelopersElection Law NewsJanuary 2020
- NewsletterEven Before 2019 Holiday Season, 2020 Pre-Election Time Windows Are Going Into EffectElection Law NewsNovember 2019
- ArticleTake It from this Campaign Finance Attorney — Trump Is In the Clear in My Area of LawThe Daily CallerEric WangSeptember 26, 2019
- NewsletterNinth Circuit Upholds Montana Electioneering Communications LawElection Law NewsSeptember 2019