Eric represents clients on all aspects of federal, state, and local procurement matters, including government contracts compliance issues, compliance with federal labor initiatives such as the Service Contract Act (SCA) and Davis-Bacon Act (DBA), bid protests, contract disputes and termination litigation, mergers and acquisitions, government investigations, suspension and debarment matters, and False Claims Act actions. His experience includes representation of clients before federal agencies, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and spans virtually all industries involved in contracting with the federal government.
- Successfully represented clients on bid protest matters involving multi-billion dollar procurement matters before the GAO and at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Represented clients successfully in connection with numerous contract termination (both default and convenience) claims and litigation. These matters have been successfully resolved both through negotiation, as well as through litigation.
- Advised numerous clients on a wide range of government contracts compliance issues including development of mandatory disclosure programs.
- Developed government contracts compliance plans and manuals for large government contract clients and conducted compliance audits designed to test a contractor's compliance with applicable federal statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Assisted numerous clients with issues arising under the SCA including assessment of coverage by the SCA and related counseling, representation in connection with Department of Labor SCA compliance audits, and development of tailored strategies for ensuring compliance with SCA fringe benefit requirements.
- Assisted clients with interpretation of obligations under collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) entered into under SCA and DBA covered contracts.
- Served as government contracts special counsel in multi-billion dollar government contracts bankruptcy matter. Developed novel novation strategies in connection with asset sales by the bankruptcy estate and assisted with developing resolution strategies for the settlement of government claims against the estate.
- Assisted numerous clients in preparing responses to grand jury subpoenas and inspector general subpoenas on large-scale government investigation matters at times prompted by underlying qui tam suits.
- Regularly counsels clients on teaming agreement and subcontracting matters, small business questions, and other issues related to compliance with socioeconomic obligations and U.S. preference statutes and regulations such as the restrictions associated with the acquisition of specialty metals.
- Adjunct Professor, George Mason University School of Law (Spring 2007, Fall 2006, Spring 2003)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law (1997-Present)
- Co-Chair, Employment Safety and Labor Committee (2018-Present)
- Vice-Chair, Employment Safety and Labor Committee (2017-2018)
- Vice-Chair, Debarment and Suspension Committee (2009-2016)
- Vice-Chair, Procurement Fraud Committee (2004-2016)
- Bid Protest Committee (1997-Present)
- Services Contracting Best Practices Task Force (2011)
- Editor, Public Contract Law Journal (2000-2005)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (ABF)
- Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Chair, GovCon Communications Committee (2008-2010)
- National Contract Management Association (NCMA) (1997-Present)
- Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC), B2G Committee (2006-Present)
- Professional Services Council (PSC) (2003-Present)
J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., The Johns Hopkins University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Related News & Insights
- AlertFederal Agencies Roll Out Class Deviations for Contractor Vaccination RequirementsCraig Smith, Eric W. LeonardOctober 6, 2021
- Media MentionPodcast: Eric Leonard and Martha Vázquez Discuss Vaccine Mandate for Federal ContractorsGovExec DailyOctober 4, 2021
- AlertTask Force Guidance Sets Out Broad Reach of EO 14042’s Requirements for Contractor Employee VaccinationsEric W. Leonard, Craig Smith, Nicole E. Giles, Martha G. VázquezSeptember 27, 2021
- AlertDoL Announcement a Reminder to Keep Parallel Contractor Minimum Wage EOs DistinctEric W. Leonard, Craig Smith, Nicole E. GilesSeptember 17, 2021