Dr. Beaird serves as a consultant to Wiley. As former Senior Deputy United States Coordinator for International Communications and Information Policy, and Office Director for Multilateral Affairs within the U.S. Department of State’s Deputate of International Communications and Information Policy (CIP), he is recognized domestically and internationally for his in depth understanding of all major international telecommunications policy issues involving multilateral and bilateral forums. Drawing on over 30 years of high-level government experience as well as his background in senior positions with a Fortune 500 company, he assists U.S. companies seeking to expand internationally as well as non-U.S. companies and organizations planning to invest in, monitor, or understand the U.S. and international markets. Dr. Beaird, while serving in the Department of State, was founder of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum's telecommunication working group, has multi-decade experience at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), and since 1948, was the first official from the United States to be elected chair of the International Telecommunication Union’s (ITU) Council.
- Served in senior roles at the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), including acting as the principal negotiator on telecommunications services in the landmark market-opening negotiations with Japan-the first trade negotiation involving telecommunication services. While at the NTIA, also served as the principal advisor to the ITU's Maitland Commission, which issued a seminal report on the relationship between telecommunications and economic development.
- While at the Department of State, worked extensively on major international telecommunications policy matters both bilaterally and in multilateral forums such as the ITU, the OECD, and APEC.
- Elected chair of the OECD's principal telecommunications/Internet committee for an unprecedented 12 years.
- Founded and served as long-standing chairman of APEC's working group on telecommunications.
- Served as chairman of the U.S. delegation to the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC) in 1993 and acted as deputy head of delegation and principal spokesperson on an unprecedented number of treaty-based negotiations at the ITU.
- Served as deputy head of delegation involving bilateral negotiations and exchanges with numerous countries and regional organizations such as the European Union (EU).
- Regularly lectures at distinguished policy meetings, including conferences of the United Nations (UN); has served as a regular guest speaker at Harvard University, The George Washington University, and Georgetown University; and has been an invited speaker at the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Served as an adjunct professor at the Department of State's Foreign Service Institute.
- U.S. Department of State
- Senior Deputy United States Coordinator for International Communications and Information Policy (1992-2013)
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of State (1988-1992)
- Deputy Associate and Associate Administrator for International Affairs, National Telecommunications and Information Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce (1983-1988)
- Held responsible positions in the Corporate and Strategic Planning Departments of AT&T (1979-1983)
- Multiple Superior Honor Awards, U.S. Department of State
- "Leadership in Government Award" bestowed by Satellite Industry Association (SIA)
- Gold Medal, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Gold Medal, International Telecommunication Union
Ph.D., University of Colorado
B.A., cum laude, University of Colorado
Related News & Insights
- EventKnowledge Societies, Capacity Building and e-LearningJune 13, 2017
- EventThe ICANN Transition, American Interests, and the Future of the InternetCouncil on Foreign Relations' Roundtable Series on Technology, Innovation, and American PrimacyApril 27, 2016
- EventThe OECD: Pioneering Effective Stakeholder Consultation and ParticipationJoint USCIB/BIAC/OECD Conference on “Promoting Inclusive Growth in the Digital Economy: The OECD Evidence and Practice Base”March 10, 2015
- EventThe Global War for Internet Governance with Dr. Laura DeNardisNew America Foundation Book LaunchApril 3, 2014