Dan counsels U.S. and international clients on the laws and regulations governing international trade, with particular emphasis on import remedy, anti-bribery, national security, and export control issues. He represents and advises clients in matters related to trade remedy investigations (including antidumping, countervailing duty, and safeguard cases), U.S. economic sanctions, export controls, anti-boycott measures, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Dan provides comprehensive international trade law compliance guidance, including assessing and resolving sensitive national security matters; developing corporate compliance programs; establishing compliance with the National Industrial Security Program (NISP) and mitigating Foreign Ownership, Control, or Influence (FOCI) issues; conducting internal investigations relating to potential violations; and appearing before the relevant agencies in connection with investigations, licensing, and enforcement actions. He also teams with the firm’s Election Law & Government Ethics Group to provide guidance pertaining to the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
Dan represents clients before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and International Trade Administration (ITA), the U.S. Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA, formerly the DSS), the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), the U.S. Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Import Relief/Trade Remedies:
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping and countervailing duty investigations of plastic ribbon from China.
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping and countervailing duty investigations of stainless steel flanges from China.
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping investigation of imports of Phosphor Copper from Korea.
- Lead counsel to the Diamond Sawblades Manufacturing Coalition, a successful petitioner in the antidumping investigation of imports from China and Korea.
- Counsel to the petitioner, Wind Tower Trade Coalition, in successful antidumping and countervailing duty investigations of wind towers from China and Vietnam.
- Represents numerous clients before the ITC and U.S. Department of Commerce in 5-year “sunset” reviews.
- Regularly advises and represents clients in administrative reviews of antidumping and countervailing duty orders.
- Litigates numerous matters before the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
National Security/Export Controls/Anti-Corruption:
- Advises U.S. companies on their obligations under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Represents U.S. and foreign-owned clients in CFIUS matters.
- Provides guidance to clients in regard to DCSA with respect to mitigation of FOCI under the applicable national industrial security regulations. Facilitates defense industry acquisitions and advises companies regarding a multitude of FOCI mitigation and DCSA compliance matters.
- Advises U.S. and foreign entities on economic sanctions regulations administered by OFAC that govern trade with Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and other countries, as well as transactions with “Specially Designated Nationals.”
- Advises U.S. and foreign companies on the development and implementation of corporate compliance programs in the areas of ITAR, FCPA, economic sanctions, anti-boycott laws, and national security regulations.
- Assists both buyers and sellers with regard to export controls, anti-corruption, and national security issues in due diligence within the context of mergers and acquisitions.
- Conducts internal investigations of potential violations of ITAR, FCPA, sanctions regulations, and national security-related regulations.
- Counsels clients with regard to compliance with FARA.
- Executive Committee, The Federalist Society, International & National Security Law (2017)
- Member, Defense Trade Advisory Group (2016-2018)
- Member, Industry Trade Advisory Committee (ITAC) (2014-Present)
- Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulation, George Mason University School of Law (2008-Present)
- Attorney, U.S. International Trade Commission, Office of General Counsel (1999-2000)
- Panelist, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Chapter 19 Roster (2019-2020)
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association (CITBA)
- Board of Directors (2013-Present)
- Co-Chair, International Trade Committee (2018-Present)
- Chair, Judicial Selection Committee (2016-2017)
- Co-Chair, Trial and Appellate Practice Committee (2013-2015)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law
- Vice-Chair, National Security Committee (2019-Present)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- International Trade and Customs Law Committee
- Society for International Affairs (SIA)
- The National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
- Listed by Chambers Global as one of the "Leaders in Their Field" for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2019-2020)
- Included in The International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2019)
- Named to Law360's International Trade Editorial Advisory Board (2018)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2018-2020)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in International Trade (2017-2020)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for International by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2020)
- Named by Law360 as an International Trade MVP (2016)
LL.M., with distinction, Georgetown University Law Center
J.D., with honors, Golden Gate University School of Law
B.A., The Pennsylvania State University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Related News & Insights
- AlertIranian Political Scientist Charged with Violating FARADaniel B. Pickard, Tessa CapelotoJanuary 19, 2021
- Press ReleaseWiley Updates Its Essential FARA Handbook for 2021January 14, 2021
- AlertDOD Issues Final Rule Codifying the NISPOMDaniel B. Pickard, Tessa CapelotoDecember 30, 2020
- EventWhat National Security Developments Will Occur Under a New Administration?WileyDecember 8, 2020