Charles is an established and trusted regulatory attorney with extensive experience practicing before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public utility commissions for over 20 years. He has argued policy positions before the FCC as well as other state and federal agencies, including the Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Department of Education, and Department of Transportation. His expertise focuses on the operation of telecommunications networks and the regulatory challenges they present, including the launch of new technologies, products, and services, and secured government action on large transactions. Charles has defended enforcement matters, negotiated consent decrees, arbitrated contract disputes, and briefed White House advisors and Members of Congress on various policy matters including issues of national security.
- Appointed by Chairman Pai to the FCC Broadband Deployment Advisory Committee to work with representatives across the industry, including representatives from local government and public, to address challenges of broadband deployment.
- Provided regulatory advice for the development and launch of new technologies, products, and services, and the deployment of infrastructure.
- Developed broad substantive expertise on telecommunications, broadband, and the Internet, addressing subjects as diverse as net neutrality, open radio access networks, telecommunications relay services, voice over internet protocol (VoIP), location-based services, consumer practices, and Internet of Things (IoT).
- Negotiated multiple consent decrees and defended clients in response to subpoenas, letters of inquiry, and notices of apparent liability before the FCC Enforcement Bureau and the Office of Inspector General.
- Obtained merger approvals in multiple states, managed responses to state inquiries during public emergencies, responded to state audit requests.
- T-Mobile USA, Inc. (2020-2021)
- Vice President, Government Affairs
- Sprint Corporation (1996-2020)
- Vice President, Government Affairs, Federal and State Regulatory
- Private Practice (1989-1996)
- FCC Broadband Deployment Advisory Committee (BDAC) (2017-2020)
- Committee Chair, Troop 944, Boy Scouts of America (2015-2020)
- INCOMPAS Board of Directors and Executive Committee (2014-2019)
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
B.A., with honors, University of Kansas
Bar and Court Memberships
- Missouri Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- AlertNTIA Releases Notices of Funding Opportunity for Broadband ProgramsBennett L. Ross, Shawn H. Chang, Charles McKee, Kevin G. Rupy, Tyler BrideganMay 16, 2022
- Blog PostSo, You Received a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) . . .Wiley ConnectCharles McKee, Joshua S. Turner, Megan L. BrownApril 5, 2022
- AlertFCC Notice of Inquiry on Digital Redlining Highlights the Challenges AheadShawn H. Chang, Anna M. Gomez, Charles McKeeMarch 21, 2022
- AlertNew Suspension and Removal Rules for the Affordable Connectivity Program To Have Major Impact on Participating ProvidersShawn H. Chang, Edgar Class, Charles McKeeMarch 17, 2022