Charles is an established and trusted regulatory attorney with more than 30 years of experience practicing before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public utility commissions. While Vice President of Regulatory Affairs for Sprint, he developed a broad expertise in wireless and wireline regulatory matters, from 9-1-1 to net neutrality, and brings the perspective of in-house corporate counsel to his private practice. He focuses on the operation of telecommunications networks and the regulatory challenges they present, including the launch of new technologies, products, and services. His current work includes broadband funding initiatives, broadband deployment challenges, access arbitrage, intercarrier compensation disputes, universal service programs, public safety issues, and regulatory approvals for transactions. Charles has defended enforcement matters, negotiated consent decrees, arbitrated contract disputes, and briefed White House advisors and Members of Congress.
- Appointed by Chairman Pai to the FCC Broadband Deployment Advisory Committee to work with representatives across the industry, including representatives from local government and public, to address challenges of broadband deployment.
- Provided regulatory advice for the development and launch of new technologies, products, and services, and the deployment of infrastructure.
- Developed broad substantive expertise on telecommunications, broadband, and the Internet, addressing subjects as diverse as net neutrality, open radio access networks, telecommunications relay services, voice over internet protocol (VoIP), location-based services, consumer practices, and Internet of Things (IoT).
- Negotiated multiple consent decrees and defended clients in response to subpoenas, letters of inquiry, and notices of apparent liability before the FCC Enforcement Bureau and the Office of Inspector General.
- Obtained merger approvals in multiple states, managed responses to state inquiries during public emergencies, responded to state audit requests.
- T-Mobile USA, Inc. (2020-2021)
- Vice President, Government Affairs
- Sprint Corporation (1996-2020)
- Vice President, Government Affairs, Federal and State Regulatory
- Private Practice (1989-1996)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- FCC Broadband Deployment Advisory Committee (BDAC) (2017-2020)
- INCOMPAS Board of Directors and Executive Committee (2014-2019)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Telecom and Broadcast: Transactional (2022)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Communications Law (2022)
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
B.A., with honors, University of Kansas
Bar and Court Memberships
- Missouri Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press Release54 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 18, 2022
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 52 Wiley Lawyers and Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 13, 2022
- AlertNTIA Releases Notices of Funding Opportunity for Broadband ProgramsBennett L. Ross, Shawn H. Chang, Charles McKee, Kevin G. Rupy, Tyler BrideganMay 16, 2022
- Blog PostSo, You Received a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) . . .Wiley ConnectCharles McKee, Joshua S. Turner, Megan L. BrownApril 5, 2022