Charles (Chuck) serves as a consultant to Wiley. He has more than 34 years of experience with an extensive background in systems engineering, cybersecurity, radiocommunications regulations, medical device regulations, and international standards. Chuck works with Wiley attorneys and clients to develop strategies and to advocate at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other federal agencies. He counsels clients on technical matters involving wireless communications services, electromagnetic compatibility regulation, equipment authorization, cybersecurity, and electronic medical device regulation.
- Played a key role in establishing the Medical Device Radiocommunications Service (MedRadio) and participated in numerous ex parte meetings with the FCC.
- Represented industry in the International Medical Device Regulators Forum (IMDRF) Medical Device Cybersecurity Working Group.
- Performed as the technical lead for meetings with radio regulatory agencies in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, and Japan.
- Provided guidance to product development teams on FCC equipment authorization rules.
- Participated in the FCC mHealth Task Force.
- Served as a voting representative in several standards-developing organizations for cardiovascular implantable electronic devices, medical device security, and wireless communications.
- Served as a session co-chair for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) public workshop “Cybersecurity of Medical Devices: A Regulatory Science Gap Analysis.”
- President, Farlow Systems Consulting, LLC (2019–Present)
- Medtronic, Inc., Cardiac Rhythm and Heart Failure Division (2004–2019)
- Regulatory Affairs Program Director
- Senior Principal Regulatory Affairs Specialist
- Senior Program Manager
- Senior Principal Engineer
- Principal Engineer
- Senior Systems Engineer, California Amplifier, Inc. (2001–2004)
- ADC Telecommunications, Inc. (1995–2001)
- Principal Engineer
- Senior Project Engineer
- Design Engineer (Levels I - IV), Rockwell International Corporation, Collins Avionics and Communications Division (1986–1995)
- Major, U.S. Army (Retired, reserve component)
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI)
- Member, AAMI PC (Cardiac Rhythm Management Device Committee)
- Member, AAMI SM/WG05 (Device Security Working Group)
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- Secretary (U.S. Expert), ISO/TC 150/SC 6/JWG 1 (Joint ISO/TC 150/SC 6 – IEC/SC 62D WG; Cardiac Pacemakers and Implantable Defibrillators)
- Member (U.S. Expert), ISO/TC 150/SC 6/WG 1 (Fundamental Standards)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, IEEE Communication and Signal Processing Societies
- International Information System Security Certification Consortium
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Minnesota State Academy for the Blind Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Alzheimer’s Association, Minnesota-North Dakota Chapter
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- Life Member, Military Officers Association of America
- Editorial Board, Cyber Vigilance, AAMI Horizons (2017)
- Medtronic Cardiac Rhythm Device Management "Border-Buster" Award (2015)
- IEEE Standards Association Certificate of Appreciation, IEEE Standard 802.15.6-2012 (2012)
- ADC Telecommunications All Star Award (1996)
- Rockwell International CACD President's Team Award Finalist (1992)
- Rockwell International CACD Significant Achievement Award, GRC-XXX Program (1990)
- Holds six U.S. patents
B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)