Brett's practice focuses on regulatory counseling, litigation, and mitigation of environmental risks in business and real estate transactions. He has experience advising companies regarding state and federal civil enforcement proceedings under the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act, OSHA Hazard Communication standards and worker safety, TSCA Title VI standards for wood products, contaminated site remediation, and natural resource damages.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in settlement of significant natural resource damages liability related to historical contamination in major river system.
- Counseled international metals processing company in environmental matters related to successful purchase of company in bankruptcy.
- Advised multinational company in mergers and acquisitions; purchase, sale, and lease of real property; and remediation projects worldwide.
- Represented fuels blender in settlement of Clean Air Act emissions civil enforcement matter.
- Represented nonprofit organization in civil settlement of allegations of asbestos NESHAP violation under the Clean Air Act.
- Advised small engines manufacturer in civil enforcement action brought by EPA and the California Air Resources Board under the Clean Air Act.
- Counseled electronics manufacturer in successful challenge of revocation of certification under the ENERGY STAR program.
- Private Law Practice (2010-2020)
J.D., magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center; Order of the Coif
M.A., Yale University
B.A., Davidson College
Editor-in-Chief, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia