Bethany serves as consulting counsel to Wiley. As a complex litigation and regulatory compliance attorney, Bethany represents health care, technology, and telecommunications organizations in judicial and administrative proceedings. She provides strategic advice to health care companies and telecommunications carriers on privacy, cybersecurity, and compliance, and enjoys counseling clients on risk prevention and creative compliance solutions. Bethany is a Certified Information Privacy Professional through the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and is Certified in Healthcare Compliance and Healthcare Privacy Compliance through the Compliance Certification Board. She completed an LL.M. focused on health care regulatory compliance, privacy, telemedicine, and the Internet of Medical Things, and has taught health care compliance in Wake Forest University’s Master of Studies in Law program. Bethany has a unique litigation background that includes two federal clerkships, experience in financial services, and mastery of complicated bankruptcy principles. She offers clients a holistic approach to their legal needs, and can seamlessly transition between litigation and contractual drafting. Bethany is particularly interested in the intersection of health care and technology, and routinely writes on this topic.
- Counsels telecommunications, technology, and wireless clients on universal service, privacy, cybersecurity, and regulatory compliance.
- Extensive motions practice in federal and state court, including pre-trial, trial, and appellate briefs, motions, and pleadings for complex administrative and civil proceedings.
- Analyzes and offers strategic advice on complicated questions of administrative and federal law involving known regulatory bodies, including the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
- Advises health care organizations on privacy, research, and general compliance. Evaluated first-tier entity’s compliance with sponsor attestation requirements under the Medicare Managed Care Program.
- Drafts comments, petitions, and pleadings in FCC proceedings.
- Analyzed statutory interpretation of FAA registration requirements for unmanned model aircraft.
- Represents national lending institutions in commercial litigation, foreclosure proceedings, Truth-in-Lending Act lawsuits, mortgage appeals, and real estate settlements.
- Defends corporate officers in fiduciary duty liability actions.
- Develops creative regulatory strategies for banking institutions, focusing on compliance with financial and consumer regulations created by the CFPB.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice. Bethany regularly represents domestic violence victims seeking temporary restraining orders, and received the Commitment to Justice Award (2015) from Safe Alliance for her work on these cases.
- Director, Master of Studies in Law, Wake Forest University School of Law (2019)
- Staff Attorney, Wiley Rein LLP (2017-2019)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law (2016)
- Private Law Practice (2014-2016)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice Chair (2019-2020)
- Young Lawyer Representative to the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy General Committee of the Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section (2018-2019)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Communications Committee (2018-2020)
- Young Lawyers' Division Social Committee (2014-2015)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- DC Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Pro Bono Volunteer and Committee Member, Safe Alliance (2014-2016)
- Communications Committee Co-Chair, Charlotte Women Attorneys (2014-2015)
J.D., magna cum laude, Wake Forest University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.A., with distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Health Care LL.M., magna cum laude, Loyola University Chicago School of Law; Certificate in Compliance Studies
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Robert L. Wilkins, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2016-2017)
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Lena M. James, U.S. Bankruptcy Court (2014)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Minnesota Bar
- North Carolina Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
Certified Information Privacy Professional
Certified Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
Certified Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)
Related News & Insights
- ArticleInsight: The Digital and the Biologic—Telehealth Expansion During a Global PandemicBloomberg LawRachel A. Alexander, Bethany A. CorbinApril 3, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Secure First Amendment Win in ‘Peace Cross’ Case, as Supreme Court Rules Memorial Does Not Violate Establishment ClauseJune 20, 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Amicus Brief Urges Supreme Court to Grant Certiorari in Hacking Case, Arguing Class Action Litigation Could Harm Nation’s IoT Cybersecurity PolicyOctober 31, 2018
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief in ‘Peace Cross’ Case, Advocating the Memorial Does Not Violate the Establishment ClauseAugust 2, 2018