Bethany, special counsel to Wiley, is a regulatory compliance, transactional, and complex litigation attorney. She provides strategic advice to pharmaceutical manufacturers and health care companies, including health plans and providers, on issues of health care administration, privacy, cybersecurity, government contracting, patent infringement, and civil enforcement proceedings. In particular, she counsels clients on risk mitigation and prevention, and enjoys developing creative compliance solutions that fit within the unique contours of each business. A key component of her practice also involves representing clients during the drafting, negotiation, and administration of health services and pharmacy benefit management contracts. She offers clients a holistic approach to their legal needs, with the ability to transition seamlessly between litigation and contractual drafting.
Bethany has a Health Care LL.M. with a Certificate in Compliance Studies. She is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional through the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and is Certified in Healthcare Compliance and Healthcare Privacy Compliance through the Compliance Certification Board. Previously, she taught health care compliance, business of health care, legislative and administrative law, and torts at Wake Forest University School of Law. Bethany is particularly interested in the intersection of health care and technology, and routinely publishes on this topic.
- Counsels health care, pharmaceutical, telecommunications, and technology clients on privacy, cybersecurity, and regulatory compliance.
- Creates and structures general and specialized compliance programs to satisfy legal requirements and achieve business objectives.
- Advises health care organizations on compliance with Medicare and Medicaid regulations, including downstream and first-tier entity compliance requirements and attestations.
- Drafts and negotiates pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) and health services contracts for national health plans.
- Defends pharmaceutical manufacturers against patent infringement and tort lawsuits.
- Provides strategic counsel on emerging health care technology trends and regulations, including digital health, artificial intelligence, mobile device privacy and cybersecurity, and the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT).
- Represents clients in federal and state courts, including extensive motions practice, discovery, and appellate experience.
- Analyzes and offers advice on complicated questions of administrative and federal law involving known regulatory bodies, including the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Federal Communications Commission, and the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Director, Master of Studies in Law, Wake Forest University School of Law (2019)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law (2016, 2018-2020)
- Private Law Practice (2014-2016)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice Chair to the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy General Committee of the Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section (2019-2020)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Pro Bono Volunteer and Committee Member, Safe Alliance (2014-2016)
J.D., magna cum laude, Wake Forest University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.A., with distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Health Care LL.M., magna cum laude, Loyola University Chicago School of Law; Certificate in Compliance Studies
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Robert L. Wilkins, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2016-2017)
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Lena M. James, U.S. Bankruptcy Court (2014)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Minnesota Bar
- North Carolina Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
Certified Information Privacy Professional
Certified Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
Certified Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)
Related News & Insights
- EventSeattle Regional Healthcare Compliance Conference: Chip Off the Old Block: Navigating the Information Blocking & Interoperability LandscapeHealth Care Compliance AssociationJuly 23, 2021
- NewsletterAll Data Is Not HIPAA Data – Healthcare Covered Entities Should Pay Close Attention to State Privacy Laws Regulating the Health IoT EcosystemPrivacy In FocusJuly 2021
- PodcastFemTech: Biases and Data PrivacyWiley ConnectedBethany A. Corbin, Krystal B. SwendsboeMarch 23, 2021
- Blog PostFemTech: Biases and Data PrivacyWiley ConnectBethany A. Corbin, Krystal B. SwendsboeMarch 23, 2021