Bill counsels and represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability insurance policies.
- Counsels insurers in matters involving first-party cyber insurance incidents, including claims for business interruption, data recovery, cyber extortion, and other first-party coverages.
- Represents insurers for third-party claims arising from cyber-and privacy-related matters, including for technology-related professional services.
- Conducts legal research and drafts pleadings addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive issues for insurers involved in coverage litigation.
- Assists in monitoring complex litigation in state and federal courts and counsels professional liability insurers on coverage issues with respect to such litigation.
- Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO)
- Claims Director, Regional Auto Damage (2015-2019)
- Claims Manager, Regional Auto Damage (2015)
- Claims Manager, Property Damage (2012-2014)
- Claims Subject Matter Expert, Property Damage (2010-2012)
- Claims Supervisor, Property Damage (2008-2010)
- Emerging Leaders Program (2005-2008)
*Not admitted to the District of Columbia Bar. Supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.
J.D., cum laude, Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
B.S., B.A., with honors and with distinction, The Schreyer Honors College at Pennsylvania State University
Member, Journal of Law, Economics and Policy
Bar and Court Memberships
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar (*Pending, supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar)
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterNo Coverage for Claim Made During Initial Policy Period but Reported During Renewal Policy PeriodExecutive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIJanuary 2020
- NewsletterExcess E&O Policy Not Triggered After Exhaustion Of Primary Policy, Where There Is At Least Potential For Coverage Under Separate D&O PolicyExecutive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIINovember 1, 2019
- NewsletterAvailability of Information Regarding Ongoing Lawsuit Does Not Preclude Exclusions for Prior Acts or Pending LitigationExecutive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIISeptember 1, 2019
- NewsletterNo Coverage for Claims Alleging Pre- and Post-Prior Acts Date ConductExecutive SummaryWilliam F. Knauss, IIIJuly 1, 2019